Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does Photos store my files?

I want to upload a photo from Photos to an online application form, but when I click on the webpage to select a photo, I don't know where to navigate to in finder to find the photos. If I click my 'Pictures' folder, it shows the library file but not the individual picture files.

Unlike iTunes, if I go in to Photos and right-click -> 'Get Info', it doesn't actually give the file path.

How do I find the jpg to upload?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 2:28 PM

7 replies

Jul 21, 2015 2:33 PM in response to losalnos

By default and strongly recommended your photos are stored in the Photos library

You do NOT directly access them there - you use the media browser (in the upload window under media ==> Photos ==> Photos or you export form Photos (file menu ==> export) to a desktop folder and upload from there

This is for iPhoto but is generally conceptually the same for Photos - How to Access Files in iPhoto

LN

Jul 21, 2015 2:41 PM in response to losalnos

losalnos wrote:

Thanks Kappy, but the library is no use to me, how do I get individual files out-with Photos. As I say, I need one of these files to upload to a website application form. I need access to the jpgs via Finder without using Photos.

And once again

You do NOT directly access them there - you use the media browser (in the upload window under media ==> Photos ==> Photos or you export form Photos (file menu ==> export) to a desktop folder and upload from there

This is for iPhoto but is generally conceptually the same for Photos - How to Access Files in iPhoto

LN

Jul 21, 2015 2:48 PM in response to losalnos

For detailed info on where the files can be stored see the Photos help topic Where are my imported files? However, you should not modify anything in a Photos Library directly, which is why "Show in Finder" is greyed out in Photos unless the item is referenced (not actually in the library). You can export items from Photos in various formats (see the help topic Export photos, videos, and slideshows for more about that) or use the media browser available in open dialogs of apps that support it, like this:

User uploaded file

Where does Photos store my files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.