Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i subscribe to apps without having a cable provider?

Can i subscribe to apps without having a cable provider? If so, How?

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 5:02 PM

I have internet but not cable. When i go to subscribe to an app for example like espn it says i need to enter my cable provider. is there a way i can subscribe without cable

9 replies

Jul 21, 2015 7:17 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Try entering cable or satellite service that is IN your area, even though you don't have the service.

That does not work as you will need your subscriber number or some other identification. ESPN is not free and cheating won't work.

@ hogle 87:

You can check into slingtv - there is a monthly charge, but for that they include ESPN as one of the channels they offer.

https://www.sling.com/?mkwid=sWpvPsv65|pcrid|67084239857|pkw|slingtv|pmt|e|pdv|c &cvosrc=ppc.google.slingtv&cvo_crid=6708…

PS: slingtv does work without having a cable TV provider as we pay for it (without cable).

Jul 21, 2015 7:02 PM in response to hogle87

Well, some websites only work with certain cable providers and some apps also have certain requirements - you need to check ESPN's requirements. Don't know if this is what you're looking for:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/apps

And, this app store page:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/watchespn/id429009175?mt=8&ls=1

you will want to read that one as it tells you what you need.

Jul 21, 2015 7:21 PM in response to hogle87

It is likely that the App wants to know your cable provider to get "local line-up" kind of stuff - cable providers are a "monopoly" in a geographic area/city. Some folks have satellite service in the same area.

[Quicktime.app of old used to have 'widgets' for ESPN, Weather Channel, etc. - Mac "Dashboard" likewise - never had to enter a provider though]

<Edited by Host>

Jul 21, 2015 7:18 PM in response to hogle87

My experience with some apps, such as TCM, is that to access the content via the app I need to enter my cable provider and account to basically prove 'yeah, I paid for this'....they're basically giving me movies on the app as a free bonus for me already paying for cable.

I think others have suggested, look on ESPN's page to see if they have a way for you to pay to access their app since you don't have cable.

You won't be able to access the app's content for totally free.

I know CBS has their own 'all access' subscription program, so others may be the same.

Jul 21, 2015 7:51 PM in response to babowa

That does not work as you will need your subscriber number or some other identification. ESPN is not free and cheating won't work.

I get it. Without ESPN App to test, I can't be sure that the App is much different than the Dashboard widget - scores, news - or the ESPN website - a plethora of stuff - no Cable TV subscription required.

WatchESPN App on the other hand seems to be the robust deal of which you speak.

As is discussed by Demo in the other concurrently running thread by the OP - Watch ABC, CBS, NBC are broadcast channels. Even if one includes Basic cable channels - they are commercial supported just like broadcast TV - Cable provider gets my $$ and pays TNT, ESPN, etc. so they CAN.

I'm thinkn this is much like your mistrust of Google... TV networks knowing about my cable consumption from an App? Premium like the way cool HBO app I understand, but ESPN?

User uploaded file

Alas, you are very likely right about plain old vanilla ESPN App though.

Jul 21, 2015 8:06 PM in response to Skydiver119

Plain old ESPN App - not WatchESPN App - should be happy with your eyeballs - as should CBS, ABC, TNT, etc. - commercials is what they get paid for, ratings is how they set their rates per minute. Just HAVING the App is a selling point to advertisers, in a number of ways. But it is likely right that they look for every opportunity to increase revenue for their shareholders (ESPN website = FREE as the air we breathe)

Can i subscribe to apps without having a cable provider?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.