Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook air 2013 shut down suddenly

My 2013 macbook air shut down suddenly. This happened while I was away from the computer for a brief minute. When I came back it was turned off. I tried to start it back up again and the turning on chime sounded, the gray screen appeared and the loading bar started to fill but but when it's about 25% full the computer just shuts down again. I ran a hardware test and it found no problems. I tried resetting the SMC but did nothing to help. If I can't resolve this issue, all my hard work from this past school year will be lost (I'm a teacher).

If anyone has any experience with this and can shed some light on what the issue and how they resolved it, I would really appreciate it. Also, I was thinking it could have been a overheating or fan issue, although the hardware test did not find any. I was using the laptop for quite a long period of time but inside my air conditioned house.

This is a computer I am using from work but it's the second macbook air 2013 that I have lost important work due to issues like this. I need to find a way to at least get it to where I can back my work up as I was about to connect it to my external hard drive....of coarse this happens before I could!!!

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 5:59 PM

5 replies

Aug 3, 2015 1:06 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I tried doing that and I clicked on the "Macintosh HD" disk. It said there was an invalid node structure and the volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely. I said to back up and restore as many files as possible. Any ideas how I could do that myself or should I bring the computer in at this point? How can I look up what OS X system is installed in the Mac?

Thanks again

Aug 3, 2015 1:34 PM in response to Lindsay Montayne

Lindsay Montayne wrote:

I How can I look up what OS X system is installed in the Mac?

Based on the model/year of the MBP, I can tell what the ORIGINAL OSX was but that may have changed. For a definitive answer, you need to be able to get the MBP functioning.

should I bring the computer in at this point?

Thanks again

Make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar. Bring in your backup HDD for the data transfer from the internal SSD.

Ciao.

My macbook air 2013 shut down suddenly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.