Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive Issues & Performance Issues

I have a mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro (9,2) non-retina with a 2.9Ghz CPU, 8GB Memory, 750GB Toshiba internal hard drive that I have been having issues with for almost 7 months now. The issues have been with terribly slow performance such as loading Finder takes around 30 seconds, reinstalling the operating system takes over 8 hours even though the install app downloads over the internet in less than 30 minutes, and non responsiveness with all installed applications. I have tried everything that I have found throughout these communities and at various forums and support pages across the Internet. Here is what I have done:

I have reset PVRAM several times.

I have reset SMC by pressing ctrl+opt+shift + the power key several times.

I booted in single user mode and ran fsck -dfy and fsck_hfs -Sdfy which found volume header errors and said the drive needed repaired, but it didn't repair the errors.

I have wiped out the entire drive using a Linux boot disk and deleted the all the partitions using Gparted.

I have reformatted the hard drive and did an Internet recovery of OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion. After the app downloaded, it took over 8 hours to reinstall the OS.

After doing the reinstall of OS X, the issues continued.

I started in single user mode again and ran the fsck and fsck_hfs utilities again, and again there were volume header issues that weren't not fixed.

I opened the MacBook and disconnected the battery and reconnected it in order to reset SMC again. It didn't work.

I purchased 2 hard drives in order to replace the existing hard drive just in case it was failing. Both times, the new drives were recognized by OS X Utilities but Disk Utility was unable to format the drives. I tried to format the drives with FAT32 and it returned an error. I cannot remember the error number. I tried to zero the drive and got the same error. Searching the Internet, I was unable to find the reason for the error using the error code.

I put the original hard drive in and it was able to be reformatted without error but the volume headers were still damaged.

I am now running the original hard drive with the reinstalled OS that was installed when the hard drive was still inside the computer. It is running almost flawlessly. There are still unfixable volume headers on the drive. I tried fixing them with Disk Utility but it reported that the drive appears OK.

I have an old external hard drive that has a 160GB SATA-1 drive installed and it connects VIA USB-2 and it runs flawlessly.

I have installed Linux on the computer and it has run flawlessly. I don't want to run Linux on this computer. I want OS X.

At this point, I do not know what to do next. I don't even know what if it's the hard drive, the SATA cable, or the hard drive controller on the logic board. I read about Disk Warrior but am not willing to spend the money because it may not be the hard drive.

I need help from someone. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Hardware Software Unknown Issues

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 7:32 PM

2 replies

Jul 21, 2015 8:02 PM in response to WhitewaterDavid

Either the SATA cable is damaged (likely) or the logic board is bad.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Hard Drive Issues & Performance Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.