Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting an error message when I run repair permissions that says, "Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired." MacPro (early 2008)

I got this same error message for a while just before I upgraded to 10.10.4 a few months ago, but after the upgrade it went away. All of a sudden it came back again. How do I fix this? Should I just reinstall the upgrade and see if it helps, and if so, is there anything I should do beforehand? Any help will be very much appreciated.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 6:41 PM

4 replies

Jul 21, 2015 8:06 PM in response to Valerie Anderson

Although it’s immensely popular, repairing permissions is pointless unless you have a specific indication of a permission error involving system files, which is rare, or a startup failure. It has traditionally spewed bogus warning messages that mean absolutely nothing.

The built-in help for Disk Utility reads in part:

If you see an alert or a message that says your permissions are set incorrectly, you can correct the disk’s permissions by clicking Repair Disk Permissions.

It’s justifiable, though rarely necessary, to repair permissions after running a third-party software installer, as defective installers have been known to damage the permissions of system files.

Mercifully, permission repair by the user will be abolished in OS X 10.11 ("El Capitan"), so people who now repair permissions can find a more productive use for their time.

Jul 22, 2015 2:49 AM in response to Valerie Anderson

As long as the report ends up with 'Permissions repair complete' then, as far as permissions go, you are fine. You can ignore the various statements in the report:

Permissions you can ignore on 10.5 onwards:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

Using 'should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--' as an example, you will see the that the permissions are not changed, but the | indicates a different location. This is because an update to Leopard onwards changed the location of a number of system components.

Poster rccharles has provided this description of what it all means:

drwxrwxrwx

d = directory

r = read

w = write

x = executeable program

drwxrwxrwx

| | |

| | all other users not in first two types

| |

| group

|

owner

a little more info

Before the user had read & write. A member of the group had read.

After, only the user had read & write.

Jul 22, 2015 3:51 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thanks, Malcolm. I guess I don't have to worry too much about it then, but I was wondering if that was what was also causing something else that started happening recently. Whenever my screensaver goes on, after about 30 minutes or so it'll send the computer to sleep, and it used to be I could just wake it back up to the screen by just touching any key. But now what's happening is that when it goes to sleep, I try to reawaken it and the computer ends up restarting itself instead of just waking the screen back up. Any ideas on what could be causing that?

I keep getting an error message when I run repair permissions that says, "Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired." MacPro (early 2008)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.