Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded vshare and immediately deleted it (within a minute) when I realized that it my appleID and password were requested. I'm worried that I now have a virus. How do I check for a virus?

I downloaded vshare and immediately deleted it (within a minute) when I realized that it my appleID and password were NOT requested. I'm worried. How can I tell if I have a virus?

iPad Air, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 8:11 PM

6 replies

Jul 21, 2015 8:44 PM in response to marknapa

I am so naive! I'm just learning what jailbreak and unjailbreak mean. I'm changing my question to delete "virus" and ask if my iPad security has been compromised. My problem started when I hit the download vshare unjailbreak icon from a website. I thought it would send me to the App Store! After a little research, I now know vshare is for acquiring non-Apple sanctioned apps and old apps that can download pirated music etc. I see on this forum that vshare questions do not really get answered. I understand if no one replies since it looks like I was trying to scam

Jul 21, 2015 8:52 PM in response to marknapa

It wasn't purchased. I hit the icon, it asked if I wanted to download. I hit download then panicked when I saw the app on my iPad and knew I hadn't signed iin with my apple ID and password. I deleted immediately. I switched all of my products to apple because they're user friendly, compatible with each other and, most importantly, to avoid viruses and security breaches etc. I and am still learning. Has my own naivety compromised my data, iCloud etc?

Jul 22, 2015 6:52 AM in response to marknapa

So, just to clarify, you were on a website and saw a prompt about installing an app, and it was downloaded immediately onto your device rather than directing you to the App Store... is that accurate?

If so, your device may have been compromised, and deleting the app may not be sufficient to remove the effects. Any time you install something not from the App Store, there is a risk that that is malware. The only known iOS malware relies on methods like these, or requires the phone to be jailbroken in the first place. I cannot say whether the app you downloaded actually is malicious or not.

To be entirely sure you are safe, you should immediately restore your iPad to factory settings, without restoring from backup. For help with that, see:

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

I downloaded vshare and immediately deleted it (within a minute) when I realized that it my appleID and password were requested. I'm worried that I now have a virus. How do I check for a virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.