Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping 2nd Display as 2nd Display when Closing Macbook Lid

Hi, I am running OS X Yosemite on a Macbook Pro connected to a Cinema display. I use both screens together in a dual monitor system, so don't have any external keyboard/mouse: when I do stuff that requires any input through keyboard/trackpad, both screens are always on.

However, sometimes I want to close my Macbook lid and just have the Cinema display (2nd monitor) continue running, for example to keep a task/packing list open or to watch a movie. I am able to do that with the NoSleep extension, which prevents my Macbook from going to sleep when I close the lid, but the problem is this: when I close the Macbook lid, the Cinema display (originally my 2nd monitor) blacks out for a couple of seconds, then flips to become the 1st monitor. This means that the Cinema display no longer shows what was on it before I closed the lid, but rather what was on the Macbook display (1st monitor).

It is possible to do everything I need to do by putting what I want to show on the Macbook screen (1st monitor) first so that it then flips up to my Cinema display when I close the lid, but to me that doesn't make sense, and is rather cumbersome (since usually the apps that I want to display on the 2nd monitor are already on the 2nd monitor when I use both screens), unintuitive, and ugly (since the screens have different aspect ratios, windows that aren't maximized go into some weird corner of the wider Cinema screen). Does anyone know any way to keep the 2nd Monitor as the 2nd Monitor when I close the Macbook lid?

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated! (:

Additional info: I have searched and come up with nothing on this for Mac users. There seems to be a solution for Windows involving the driver options (http://www.kmbytes.com/blog/keep-secondary-monitor-secondary-closing-laptop-lid- windows-7/), but I have no idea how to access them in Mac system preferences (if it is even possible).

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), null

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 9:25 PM

1 reply

Jul 21, 2015 9:44 PM in response to wayne.mac.user

Edit: my current solution (of putting what I want to display on the Macbook screen so it then flips up to the Cinema screen) is actually terrible. For some reason, even when I maximize the window on the Macbook screen, when I close the lid it is not completely maximized on the Cinema screen (the top bar is still showing). Worse is that even though I push the cursor out of the way on the Macbook screen, it appears in the centre of the Cinema screen. So yes I do really need a solution. Thanks!

Keeping 2nd Display as 2nd Display when Closing Macbook Lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.