Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos frozen "preparing library" from iPhotos

My son updated the software on my computer to OS X Yosemite. Now I can't use iPhotos and instead have this new Photos program. I followed the instructions for set up and selected my iPhotos library and it got stuck "preparing library" at 24%. I got an error message after an hour or so saying there was an error. I tried again, seemed to go ok until it hit 24% and again it's been stuck there for nearly an hour. I have over a decade of photos on iPhoto and I can't afford to lose any of them. I can see under my Pictures in Finder that there is a Photos folder and it appears to contain almost all (if not all) of my photos from iPhoto...But launching and using Photos just isn't happening. Any help would be much appreciated! I don't really know what I'm doing and my daughter is helping (a Windows user...). Thanks.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), I only use my PC

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 1:17 AM

1 reply

Jul 22, 2015 3:55 AM in response to Frustrated with Photos

Try to get iPhoto running again, so you can rebuild your iPhoto Library.

The Yosemite upgrade left iPhoto installed. It just removed it from the Dock. look in the Applications folder for iPhoto and drag it back to the Dock. If the iPhoto icon appears to be crossed out, update to iPhoto version 9.6.1.

See this User Tip:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

Photos frozen "preparing library" from iPhotos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.