Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud for Windows

Let me start by saying this is NOT a question. It's a rant. It's a review of iCloud for Windows. It's a desperate attempt to have apple address the issue by criticizing them in public--in other words, give individuals on the www a chance to read my miserable experience with iCloud and hope that someone at apple thinks to themselves ... "man we really need to fix this so that users like poppalocs don't badmouth us." So, yes I know this site is a community of other apple users and not apple employees.

So, for anyone considering using iCloud as a syncing solution: it *****. At least as between a MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) and Dell Inspiron 660S (Windows 8.1).

I purchased 500 GB worth of iCloud storage in hopes of replacing my current syncing solution (Cubby). It's been nearly 3 weeks since I began the process of syncing and it appears that I am still thousands of files away from having my computers synced. I have lots of files, but Cubby accomplished the same feat in 36+ hours. Not only am I not syncing, DUPLICATE folders are being created! I can understand duplicate files being created to force me to choose between versions, but folders with the same name? C'mon!

For syncing purposes, It's all bad. If you are thinking of dumping your current sync solution ... don't. At least not if you are trying to sync a Mac with a PC; for that purpose, iCloud is TERRIBLE.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 3GHz i7; 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 12:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 2:23 PM

Stopped using iCloud for Windows today and went back to Cubby for my syncing needs. Costs way more, but it WORKS. I kept some iCloud storage for pictures.

2 replies

Feb 19, 2016 4:35 AM in response to poppalocs

I purchased a few audiobooks that are only available on iTunes for some reason. I don't own apple devices, but ok, I'll do this iTunes thing... As I purchased them, I should be able to put them on my android where I can listen to them when I accumulate listening time. But it's DMR'd. A month later I find some convoluted way to burn to a virtual CD burner and learn of the 7-disc limit. Nice one apple... For some reason it has to be on their iCloud. Fine, whatever. That lead me to install iCloud for Windows.

But oh, no no no.

You can't run iCloud for windows unless you have a registered apple device first. I don't use Apple for a reason. I come from a linux/unix background and like to I dig, tweak, and personalize my tools. I prefer control with my systems. The very thing Apple seeks to prevent at all costs (for the lay population's ease, fair enough - makes their support easier.)

If they want more curiosity from new audiences, leading by the carrot and then saying "oh, so sorry, you can't listen to what you purchased without being trapped to your PC" was a huge let-down. An 8-disc set glommed into one massive file with no appropriate intervals/breaks, and a 7-disc limit. Thumbs up guys. This is why I've avoided apple so strongly, no freedom for what I legitimately purchase. Take a hint from SoundsTrue.com if anything. No proprietary players forced, you get what you purchase in the format it was intended, and a *choice* if you want one massive playlist.

Not pleased.

iCloud for Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.