Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

align object to canvas

Hello.

This is probably a basic question, but I can't align objects to the canvas. Say I want to center a text frame or a shape on the canvas, how can I do it? I tried using Object > Alignment > Align Vertical (or Horizontal) Centers, but it only works with more than one object selected, and I can't select the canvas.

Any hints?

Thank you.

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 6:17 AM

In the View menu (top right of canvas), be sure that Dynamic Guides are turned on (as well as Show Overlays). Also, be sure snapping is turned on (N is shortcut, or middle blue button top right of timeline). You'll see yellow horizontal and vertical lines light up when an object's center lines up with the center of the canvas.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2015 6:17 AM in response to maguskrool

In the View menu (top right of canvas), be sure that Dynamic Guides are turned on (as well as Show Overlays). Also, be sure snapping is turned on (N is shortcut, or middle blue button top right of timeline). You'll see yellow horizontal and vertical lines light up when an object's center lines up with the center of the canvas.

Jul 22, 2015 8:17 AM in response to BenB

Thank you Ben.

While this helped, I get mixed results. For a simple shape like a rectangle, it seems to work fine. For a text frame, not so much. I have text frame with four capital letters and the dynamic guides apparently use parts of the letters to determine when they show up, and I can't get the horizontal center guide to show up in the correct place.

align object to canvas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.