Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo app in Yosemite won't open my iPhoto library

i upgraded my browser to the latest Yosemite version. The photo app won't open my iPhoto library containing over 30,000 images. I do use time machine so I feel they should be safe but how can I get them into photos? It doesn't open like the tutorial says it should. Help!

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 6:16 AM

1 reply

Jul 22, 2015 7:06 AM in response to Photo misty

Where is your iPhoto Library located? If it is in your Pictures folder drag the iPhoto Library directly onto the Photos icon in the Dock to open the library in Photos. If your iPhoto Library is somewhere else post back with details about the external drive you are using - the format of the file system and how it is connected.

Which version of iPhoto did you use? If the iPhoto version is iPhoto 7.1.2 or older you need to upgrade the iPhoto library using iPhoto Library upgrader, before you can open it in Photos. See this link: iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader

Photo app in Yosemite won't open my iPhoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.