Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When exactly does iCloud photos upload?

I checked this: iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support. But it is somewhat vague. It states: "your photos and videos will upload after you connect to the Internet with Wi-Fi and your battery is charged." So,

1. Will my laptop upload only while connected to the power outlet, or also while running on battery? (what does "charged" mean?)

2. I assume it will not upload while asleep? So, I put energy saver to never put the laptop to sleep while connected to power.

Anyway, that upload is going to take some time. I have 23,000 pictures, and it uploads less than a thousand per day. At least it doesn't really affect my internet speed for other devices in any noticeable way.

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 10:03 AM

3 replies

Jul 27, 2015 9:43 AM in response to Eric Root

It seems to me that it uploads even when asleep (but plugged in), but I'm not sure. I'm leaving it on not go to sleep to make sure.

I estimate that it will take a month to upload the pictures! Frustrating, but of course, that's not's Apple's fault, but a feature of ADSL asymmetry. But meanwhile photos does not do anything else. It does not download pictures from my iPhone, and when I add new content, it's not uploaded. It seems new content is put at the back of the upload queue. Here Apple could perhaps have made it a little more flexible, prioritizing upload and download of recent content. But of course, at Apple when they test they have gigabit upload speeds so they don't quite experience the frustration of a monthlong upload process.

When exactly does iCloud photos upload?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.