Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I upgrade to Yosemite (from Snow Leopard) will I still be able to use Aperture

If I upgrade to Yosemite (from Snow Leopard) will I still be able to use Aperture? I do have a more recent updated Aperture on my 2014 27" iMac running Mavericks at present.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Aperture is at present 3.2.4

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 11:36 AM

2 replies

Jul 22, 2015 11:58 AM in response to davey26

I do have a more recent updated Aperture on my 2014 27" iMac running Mavericks at present.

Only Aperture 3.6 will run on Yosemite. Niel sent you the link to the User Tip that explains how to install Aperture 3.6 from the AppStore.

You may want to take a few precautions before you update Aperture.

• The Yosemite upgrade will usually remove the Aperture icon from the Dock and replace it by the Photos icon. If you click the Photos icon to explore the Photos.app it will migrate the last opened Aperture library or Photos library to Photos. If you don't want that to happen, hold down the options key while launching Photos to be able to create a new library instead of migrating your Aperture library.
  • Make a full backup of your system, so you are able to revert to your current system, just in case some of your plug-ins do no longer work, or similar problems.
  • Repair your Aperture library (Aperture 3 User Manual: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library) while you are still running SnowLeopard. The upgrade to Aperture 3.6 requires a full rebuild of your Aperture Library because the format of the library changed considerably between Aperture 3.2.4 and the following versions. It is safer to do the upgrade if the library is without any issues.

If I upgrade to Yosemite (from Snow Leopard) will I still be able to use Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.