Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disabled USB ports and overheating

Recently I left a Fitbit USB bluetooth dongle inserted for about three weeks in my Macbook pro. Then a message that my Usb ports had been disabled popped up in the right corner. Now I no longer have USB ports that work and my computer is overheating and the fan runs on high.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 11:49 AM

Howdy Rhythmatician,

If your computer is overheating and the fans are running high you may need to reset the SMC, System Management Controller.

See Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Also, does the Fitbit USB dongle still work? I wouldn't think that would be a power hog.

Regards

3 replies

Jul 27, 2015 6:45 PM in response to Nubz N.

TThanks Nubz,

Five apple support calls to no avail. I tried resetting the nvram. Tried the smc reset twice. All this over three days and was told it was a hardware problem. I tried calling a couple places. Then I tried Apple one more time on the phone. During this one my MacBook was draining power. I watched it go down to 1% and then it went to 0% but stayed on about 30 seconds. When I recharged after the power down it came back up and started working. While I had the apple guy on the phone I backed up on a 2T external drive after I formatted for Mac. Anyway the SMC must have worked. It just took about 48 for the effect to kick in.

THanks for for the reply though.

disabled USB ports and overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.