Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Slow boot up is a clean install worth it?

Hi,

My MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) has recently started to boot up slowly, it takes about 2 minutes to boot up, here are my specs.

Processor - 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory - 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics - Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

I've tried reseting my PRAM and things, but nothing seems to work. Im thinking a clean install is going to be the only way to fix this but I'm not sure if to do it on Yosemity or wait for El Capitan. Do you think a clean install will even make a difference.

I also put in the 16 GB of RAM a while ago I don't think that is causing the problem but is there anyway I could check if that is?

My battery has also not been lasting very long is there a way I can check if i need a new one?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance.

Matt

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 12:28 PM

12 replies

Jul 22, 2015 12:57 PM in response to M96Watson

a ssd drive is like a hard drive but WAY more faster. hard drives have discs in them and a laser reads all the files that need to load that are in the disc. but with an ssd, there's no disc in it, its all electrical so its way more quicker to load stuff. you can get a good one for cheap at best buy. I'll show you the one i have

User uploaded file

Jul 22, 2015 1:56 PM in response to M96Watson

Getting an SSD now would be better. I have a 2010 MBP as well and swapping out the HDD with SSD has turned it to a great laptop, i do not see any reason to buy a new laptop anytime soon. The benefits of this action are enormous, your computer boot-up real fast and applications launch almost instantaneous. You can google 'how to swap HDD with SSD on 2011 MBP' or go to www.iFixit.com to learn how to do-it-yourself.

MacBook Pro Slow boot up is a clean install worth it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.