Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup failed

Hi folks. I have a Macbook (2007 I think) running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and a Ist Generation Time Capsule. I've had very few problems with Time Machine until recently. It now fails to complete all attempted backups and gives the error: The backup was not performed because an error occurred while coping files to the backup disk. I've followed the standard advice to try re-starting Time Capsule, and also tried using Disk Utility to verify and repair the TM disk image but without success.

I've downloaded a Time Machine widget which I found elsewhere on the Apple Support Communities Pages. It has given me a report which I've pasted below. Can anyone advise me how to proceed? I'd be really grateful for any expert help here.

Many thanks. - Steve Walsh

The Time Machine widget has produced the following:

Starting standard backup

Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://Stephen%20Walsh@Stephen-Walshs-Time-Capsule.local/Stephen%20Walsh's%20Tim e%20Capsul

Mounted network destination using URL: afp://Stephen%20Walsh@Stephen-Walshs-Time-Capsule.local/Stephen%20Walsh's%20Tim e%20Capsul

QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN

Disk image /Volumes/Stephen Walsh's Time Capsul/Steves Macbook.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups

Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD

Node requires deep traversal:/ reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|

zero date not marked for delete: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/Steves Macbook/2013-07-16-160230

No pre-backup thinning needed: 7.33 GB requested (including padding), 92.11 GB available

Indexing a file failed. Returned 200 for: /Library/Application Support/CrashReporter, /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/Steves Macbook/2015-06-29-204737.inProgress/01285E4F-B77A-4770-B1A2-7E82342B5476/Macin tosh HD/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter

Aborting backup because indexing a file failed.

Stopping backup.

Copied 184 files (582.7 MB) from volume Macintosh HD.

Copy stage failed with error:11

Backup failed with error: 11

Ejected Time Machine disk image.

Ejected Time Machine network volume.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2GB

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 12:13 PM

5 replies

Jul 24, 2015 12:46 PM in response to SteveWalsh

Hey SteveWalsh,

I see that you are experiencing some issues with your Time Machine backup. I have an article for you that explains some troubleshooting steps you may have missed, and it can be found below:

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204157

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

Jul 24, 2015 6:23 PM in response to braden85

Thanks for your reply, braden85. I looked at that info but I've already been through those steps. Looking at the detail of the problem in my post, can you suggest how I might fix this problem? Ideally it'd be great to contact someone with detailed knowledge who can look at the error report I posted and suggest what I can do to fix it. I'm way out of my depth here, but it seems to suggest that Time Machine fails because of a corrupted file somewhere in my computer. If that's correct, it'd be great to get help to identify and remove that file..

Much thanks,

Steve

Jul 25, 2015 7:17 AM in response to SteveWalsh

Copy stage failed with error:11

Backup failed with error: 11

Error 11 is a tough one., and for most users cannot be fixed without erasing the Time Capsule disk and starting over with a new master backup and moving forward again.

The best "fix" attempt appears to be in an article from Macworld.....but is very complicated and frankly beyond the capabilities of most users.The Terminal is a very scary place to go, and users should not go there unless they know exactly what they are doing.

I'm not recommending that you try this....and there is of course no guarantee that it work if you do...but if you want to review the steps, they are here:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090515063602219

Jul 27, 2015 3:19 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Many thanks, Bob. I'll take your advice and not even attempt those steps. So it seems I'll have to try wiping and re-setting Time Capsule. Perhaps you can help with two further questions:

1. Is it possible to copy all or some of the backups from Time Machine to another drive before re-setting Time Capsule? If so, what's the easiest way to do this?

2. Does Error 11 suggest that the problem may be in a corrupt file in the computer which is causing a problem with the backup? If so, surely the problem will recur, even after re-setting Time Machine / Time Capsule?

Jul 27, 2015 5:57 AM in response to SteveWalsh

1. Is it possible to copy all or some of the backups from Time Machine to another drive before re-setting Time Capsule? If so, what's the easiest way to do this?

Use the Archive function in AirPort Utility. Connect a USB drive, which must be formatted for Mac in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to the USB port on the Time Capsule. Open AirPort Utility on your Mac, select the Time Capsule, and click Manual Setup. Then, click the Disks icon at the top of the window to reach the Disk settings. This the same page is where you would Erase the drive if you choose to do that. Use the Zero Out erase option to completely wipe the drive if you decide to go ahead with that procedure. It's probably going to take 5-6 hours for this task.

The real issue here will be whether those old backups can even be accessed at all if you need them. That's something that you will have to try to find the answer.

User uploaded file

2. Does Error 11 suggest that the problem may be in a corrupt file in the computer which is causing a problem with the backup? If so, surely the problem will recur, even after re-setting Time Machine / Time Capsule?

It's possible, but it is also possible that there may have been an error writing the file(s) to the disk and the erase procedure will help in the future.

Now, unfortunately the bad news. It is somewhat of a miracle that a 1st Generation Time Capsule is even operating at all. Most of them failed in the first 18 months of operation and very few made it to 3 years. Both the power supply and the hard drive will go any minute now, so my recommendation would be to not try to store any data that you might really need on the old Time Capsule.

If you need reliable backups, you will need to use another hard drive connected directly to your Mac or a new Time Capsule.

Time Machine backup failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.