Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding an SSD drive to fusion 2014 Mac mini

I Upgraded from a 2011 Mac mini to a 2014 that comes with a 2Tb Fusion drive. I would like tto trespass the SSD drive to the 2014 . Is this possible?

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 1:06 PM

12 replies

Jul 22, 2015 1:36 PM in response to lllaass

My question was about placing the SSD alongside the Fusion as a start up drive. However the link you provided seems to indicate that the 2011 is very different than the 2014 and that there is no room for a second drive. I could be wrong and perhaps someone else can elaborate on this . My SSD is a 250 Crucial , about double the size of the Fusion SSD start up drive. Besides is still is not clear to me if the Fusion drive is one enclosure with both the SSD and the rotational drive or if they are separate occupying different bays. My Crucial is very fast .

Jul 22, 2015 2:12 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks a lot . If there is no vacant bay then the only way to incorporate the Crucial 250 SSD would be, like you initially said , break the logical group some how , remove the Blade SSD and then incorporate the Crucial SSD . I don't know if this will be feasible or if it will provide any advantage . I am migrating to the new Mini and will see how fast it will perform in its original configuration.

Thanks a lot for all your answers.

Jul 22, 2015 3:08 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks a lot . Now I have a clear understanding of my options and they are not really worth the trouble. If I remove the Rotating HD and install my Crucial in its place I will end up with just about 500 Gig of SSD instead of the original 2 Terabites . Of course the 2 Tb can go outside but the question will be whether the Crucial as a start up SSD would be faster than the original configuration. I will keep p all this in mind for when I have some benchmarks .

Thanks again. Luis

Jul 22, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Luisminimac

The 2 TB Fusion drive should be faster since the blade SSD is faster than your Crucial.

Typically the SSD part of a fusion drive is 120 GB so if yo have a lot of different large files that are accessed the crucial may be faster if the the Fusion drive has to access the 2 TB drive.

The 2 1/2 HDs are typically 5400 RPM which is slower than the 7200 RPM of desktop 3 1/2 inch drives. Thus 7200 RPM drive read and write faster than 5400 RPM drives.

Adding an SSD drive to fusion 2014 Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.