Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless network computers cannot find HP Officejet Pro 8100 printer

In the past few weeks, computers on my home wireless network have stopped printing to my HP Officejet Pro 8100. I receive a "printer not connected" message in the printer status window. Two Macs are running OS X 10.9.5 and one 10.10.4. The printer has the latest firmware update (just installed) and latest drivers are installed on the computers (through Apple Software updates). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer on each computer. After the firmware update, I used the HP Setup, via USB, to set up the printer again on the network. Airport Utility reports the printer as a wireless client with "excellent" quality (same for the three computers).

I can power off the printer and turn it on, and the computers will briefly be able to print to it, but after a short bit of time the problem is back.

HP Officejet Pro 8100-OTHER

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 1:07 PM

3 replies

Jul 23, 2015 12:55 PM in response to mwriggs

HP – Wireless Printing Center

Network Printer Troubleshooting

Ping printer: If you have the printers IP address open Terminal (Applications/Utilities) and at the prompt type: ping {printerIP}. You will get a reply or failure.

WiFi Printer to WiFi Network - Connect

If you haven't done so already, try resetting the printing system.

OS X Mavericks: Reset the printing system also Yosemite

Jul 23, 2015 7:28 PM in response to mwriggs

I don't if this will help but try restarting your WiFi box.

I have an iMac and a Mac mini connected via a Comcast Cable Box/WiFi hub to my HP PhotoSmart 7520 printer.

If I try to print , after the printer has automatically powered off , I receive the "can't find the printer" message.

Resetting and/or restarting the printer and computers does not fix the problem.

But, I have found that if I remove and restore power to the Comcast Cable Box/WiFi hub, the computers can access the wireless printer.

I have contacted Comcast, HP and Apple concerning this issue.

Each company tells me that the problem is not being cause by their box.

So I unplug/replug the power to the Cable Box when I need to print anything.

Wireless network computers cannot find HP Officejet Pro 8100 printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.