Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match is a trainwreck - and has been for over a year

I first contacted Apple last year - iTunes Match was caching Music streamed by my phone (but not downloaded), but refusing to clean itself. My storage would decrease progressively meaning I'd have to restore my phone about once every month or two. iTunes would recognize my phone as having up to 2.6GB free space. The phone would say I had as little as 80MB.

Multiple tickets opened on that. The engineers got my logs back in October 2014 - never got a response on that. A few Senior iOS reps have been perfectly nice, but then went M.I.A.

When I upgraded to iTunes 12.2 - even though I waited for the patch - it still royally screwed my library. I have thousands of songs assigned ghost ratings based on album ratings I'd never input. Many of the album ratings are for Unknown albums assigned to random singles or even sound effects just happening to be in my library.

I fixed that by downgrading iTunes and restoring an old library itl file I pulled off TimeMachine. But then iTunes Match went down for all of yesterday - meaning I lost all my music to the cloud while their system status was supposedly up.

Around 6pm yesterday iTunes Match came back. But when it redownloaded to two of my computers, it sent along even more corrupt libraries, which are now different between my computers, phone, and iPad.

Through all of this I've spoken to more than a handful of Senior iOS, iTunes, etc. reps, handed over my logs to engineers multiple times, screenshared, etc.

C'mon Apple I basically just throw my money at you. Both this software - which I pay for - and this support is unbecoming of your brand. Halp.

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 7:30 PM

1 reply

Jul 22, 2015 9:01 PM in response to SamhnaDubhadh

Sorry to hear all that. I've been trying to explain the cached form of streaming to people but so many don't understand. I've conducted many tests and the end result is just what you indicated: To free up memory, the device must be reset from time to time. I do like having all my music in the cloud but I still use a large chunk of memory for music. If I need memory, I can delete since I fully download all tracks to avoid the cache issue. As for your cloud problem, it seems your Mac is being used as an auxiliary device which explains why your library changes. Restore it as you did but turn of "iCloud Music Library" on your Mac which you don't want affected. Keep iCloud Library enabled on your other IOS devices. Hope that helps you.

iTunes Match is a trainwreck - and has been for over a year

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.