Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my Podcast get rejected? How can I resubmit a Podcast after my initial rejection?

Hello,

I have been made aware that my podcast has been rejected in iTunes. I am not sure if this is relevant or not, but the podcast was functioning for about a month until it could no longer be found by searching in iTunes. Moving along, I reached out to Apple support to troubleshoot the issue, and of course they were no help, and i received a blanket or automatic email response saying that I violated one or more of the following issues:

Unfortunately, the podcast has been rejected for one or more of the following reasons:

• Technical problems, usually the lack of episodes or the inability to download or play episodes. These problems can almost always be avoided by testing your feed using Subscribe to Podcast in the File menu prior to submission.

• Requirement of a login or password to access the feed or any of the episodes.

• Strong prevalence of sexual content.

• Use of explicit language in the podcast when the <explicit> tag is not set to “yes”

• References to illegal drugs, profanity, or violence in the title, description, or cover art

• Images or language that could be construed as racist, misogynist, or homophobic

• Images depicting sex, violence, gore, illegal drugs, or hate themes

• Third-party trademarks without authorization or usage rights

• The words “iTunes Store,” “iTunes,” or “Apple Inc.”

• iTunes Store logo, Apple logo, or the term “Exclusive” without prior authorization from Apple

I don't think that I have violated any of these rules, (but nobody ever thinks they do anything wrong, right?), however, in the event that I did violate one or more of these guidelines, I have no problem fixing these. Any help would be appreciated.

My files are in MP3 format, I have marked my episodes with the explicit content advisory, I do not use profanity in the titles and my picture meets the 1400 x 1400 criteria.

This is the first podcast that I have hosted, and I am getting off to a great start (sarcasm) ... but I don't want this to deter me from continuing my podcasting.

Also, I apologize in advance if I seem incompetent, I am. Feel free to "dumb it down" while responding to me.

If you have any questions, let me know, and I will happy to provide any supporting information.

Here is the RSS URL feed that I am using (powered by SoundCloud):

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:48236424/sounds.rss

Thank you all for your help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), null

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 7:43 PM

16 replies

Jul 22, 2015 11:13 PM in response to teecopp

You have two issues. Firstly, your episodes are set to force a download - this means the Store cannot stream them, although they will work when subscribing. This would normally get your podcast rejected when submitting with the complaint that they had 'difficulty playing your episode'. You need to set each file not to download. eiznem has posted the process:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6523821?answerId=26564459022#26564459022

Since it wasn't rejected initially this probably isn't the issue, though. Your latest episode appears to contain music from commercially issued recordings - it is flagged in the title as a 'Mix'. This is a breach of copyright and is not allowed.

I don't know about your earlier episodes. If you can avoid using copyright recordings, or if you can prove you have written permission to use them, you can resubmit in the usual way. You will probably have to change the title slightly to get round a bug which will tell you the feed has already been submitted.

As long as you have uncleared copyright recordings in your episodes you won't be accepted.

Jul 23, 2015 7:50 AM in response to teecopp

I'm having the EXACT same problem. But I've called two Apple Support numbers, sent dozens of emails, filled out their online support form...no human response. Just the same canned: Unfortunately, the podcast has been rejected for one or more of the following reasons...

This has been going on for almost a month now. Horrible, horrible podcast customer service. The absolute definition of run-around.

Jul 23, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Feed is here: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:152328799/sounds.rss

But Apple will not even let me re-submit. I'm willing to correct any issues and resubmit but i cant because of some stupid bug on their end and SoundCloud will not give me a modified RSS feed URL to bypass the bug.

So now what? Apple Support form? Doesn't work...tried that almost a dozen times. No human response.

Jul 23, 2015 8:22 AM in response to Chris NewBay

Firstly your media files (at least the latest one, I didn't check the others) are set to force a download - though as this probably applies to all the others it may not be an issue. Usually this gets a feed rejected on submission: please see my first answer above.

More to the point, your latest episode appears to include music from commercial recordings - again, see my post. If these are uncleared copyright recordings you are not going to be allowed to post them in the Store.

Jul 23, 2015 8:29 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Understood about the music rights issue. But we have the rights to play these recordings (we're a giant media company working with commercial artists - http://www.newbaymedia.com/). I have no problem clearing this with Apple to prove this but how on earth can I do that without being able to contact a human being on their end? I cant even get someone to confirm that the commercial recordings are indeed the issue.

Jul 23, 2015 8:41 AM in response to Chris NewBay

You can assume that they will assume that the music is uncleared unless they hear otherwise. (Usually music in podcasts hasn't been cleared.) You could include a note in the main description for the podcast to explain that the music is cleared.

You could also try the Support route. Go to https://itunespodcasts.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and in the 'Choose a topic' menu choose 'Submission query'. Explain the situation in the field provided.

Jul 23, 2015 8:47 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

"You could also try the Support route. Go to https://itunespodcasts.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and in the 'Choose a topic' menu choose 'Submission query'. Explain the situation in the field provided."

Did that. About 12 times. Same response:

iTunes Podcasts Support (iTunes Podcasts)

Jul 20, 13:42

Hello,

Unfortunately, the podcast has been rejected for one or more of the following reasons:

• Technical problems, usually the lack of episodes or the inability to download or play episodes. These problems can almost always be avoided by testing your feed using Subscribe to Podcast in the File menu prior to submission.
• Requirement of a login or password to access the feed or any of the episodes.
• Strong prevalence of sexual content.
• Use of explicit language in the podcast when the <explicit> tag is not set to “yes”
• References to illegal drugs, profanity, or violence in the title, description, or cover art
• Images or language that could be construed as racist, misogynist, or homophobic
• Images depicting sex, violence, gore, illegal drugs, or hate themes
• Third-party trademarks without authorization or usage rights
• The words “iTunes Store,” “iTunes,” or “Apple Inc.”
• iTunes Store logo, Apple logo, or the term “Exclusive” without prior authorization from Apple

Jul 23, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your helpful input. I have taken the two questionable podcasts with the music out of my feed, and i double checked the "forced download" issue, and it seems like I have been following eiznem's directions the whole time, so I am not sure if that was a coincidence or not on his end.

Also, you mention changing the title slightly. That doesn't change the RSS URL, but will it still set off that bug?

I will try again, hopefully with some good news.

Jul 23, 2015 9:51 AM in response to teecopp

The problem with resubmissions is that there is a bug in the automated part of the submissions process which will tell you that your podcast has already been submitted, even when it's been rejected or removed. This has been going on for years, and I wish they'd fix it - it causes a lot of problems and is plain stupid.

Changing the title of the podcast is intended to make it look like a different one. You can change it back later, provided that doing so doesn't then change the feed filename as it does in some cases. You could try without changing the title and see if you get away with it, then if you get that error try changing the title. If you can change the 'link' tag that might help, again you can easily change that back once accepted.

In the meantime I checked your top episode and it's still forcing a download.

Jul 23, 2015 5:51 PM in response to Chris NewBay

Chris,

To prove you have copywrite clearance, maybe you can tell people in the episode notes you are authorized to play the songs. Your feed says "we play new tunes by Slayer, The Devil Wears Prada, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and more."

Those are pretty big bands. Maybe if they are cleared you should tell people (and Apple) that you are cleared to play them- in the show notes?

Why did my Podcast get rejected? How can I resubmit a Podcast after my initial rejection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.