Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall vs clean install

My question is what is the difference between reinstalling OS and performing a clean install.

I understand the clean install wipes your hard drive, whereas a reinstall preserves files, settings, etc.

But, is the end result the same as far as how 'clean' the OS is installed back onto your computer...if that makes sense...

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 7:59 PM

11 replies

Jul 23, 2015 12:16 PM in response to greg sahli

Thank you, Greg, for your response.

Is one method better than the other in resolving OS issues, do you know?

I am experiencing issues with start up, etc which from other forum discussions may be related to installing Yosemite via an upgrade. All the other measures suggested (ensuring start up disk assignment is correct; clearing PRAM; etc) have had no effect for me so the reinstall/clean install seems to be my next step.

Thanks again.

Jul 23, 2015 1:54 PM in response to amsyvr

I would say definitely try a clean install, without allowing Setup assistant to transfer settings and preferences.

Wait ---

Before that, have you tried using Safe Mode as a troubleshooting step? It does some drive repairs, deletes some caches, and disables 3rd-party extensions. We use it particularly to see if extensions are causing the issues.

OS X Yosemite: Start up in safe mode

Also review this for ideas:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/startupitems.html

Jul 24, 2015 6:05 PM in response to Eric Root

My mbp is slow on start up. Screen with Apple logo and status bar underneath appears first. The bar moves for a while, pauses, and then starts moving again. Once logged in the turning circle does it's thing for a while before it's all good to go. Prior to installing Yosemite I was using a Surfeasy (VPN) USB key which no longer works. It works on my work computer PC but not my mac. Occasionally my wi-fi stalls out. And, I can't airdrop from my iPhone 6 to my mbp (not sure if this is an issue with the mbp or the phone). So, overall, just some glitches that I want to try and get rid of. All the 'usual' fixes people have posted haven't worked for me.

Jul 25, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for the links.

I've done my first ever successful airdrop from my iPhone to mbp - I didn't change anything it just worked. I haven't tried for a while so it might be that one of the recent OS updates helped? Anyways, nice to have that working 🙂

I did a safemode start up and it started very slow, had some weird black screen with white lines screen scrolling happen, and overall the system just ran real slow and sluggish. Have shut down and started things back up again and it's back to the way is was. I cleared the start up items and log in items (nothing was in the log in items folder, only one in start up) but that too didn't affect anything.

I really appreciate the added suggestions, thank you.

I'm going to have to steady the nerves, back up the files, and dive in for a clean install...ugh...

Reinstall vs clean install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.