Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone received suspicious emails claiming that your computer now has a virus and to call the provided telephone number immediately? Thanks.

Has anyone received suspicious emails claiming that your computer now has a virus and to call the provided telephone number immediately?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, 10.10.4 Yosemite

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 11:20 PM

3 replies

Jul 24, 2015 12:54 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you VikingOSX. Very glad to have "listened" to that voice inside that said, "This is messed up! No major company would ever approach their client in such a drastic, do-or-die-or-else, styled demand." I was curious though, and did call, but with the intention of not

giving over any information or computer control, not even my true name. That said, the conversation was enlightening. This is a definite scam! The person I spoke with said his name was Henry. No Way! His accent gave him away. I was decent and calm but finally said, "no, stop, stop. There's no way that you could have any idea as to the disposition of my computer. You are a fraud, and I am going to report this to the proper authorities." Felt good to hang up on them too. So, thanks again for your reply.

I took a png of the email. It was from Mac-Virus.Info. They supplied their phone number. I should introduce them to Tom Mabe!!! (check him out on YouTube).

Also heard about this type of scam on the news. Was surprised when it happened to me. Nice to have escaped.

Cheers.

Has anyone received suspicious emails claiming that your computer now has a virus and to call the provided telephone number immediately? Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.