Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV stuck on home sharing/settings menu. HELP!

I recently went on vacation and left my apple TV unplugged. When I returned I plugged it back in and turned it on and it is stuck on a menu screen with only a home sharing and settings icon. When I select home sharing and try to log in it tells me it is unable to sign in. Although I know the home sharing username/password is correct because it worked on my computer. When I go to network and select network and try to log into my itunes it says can not connect to itunes store. Again, I know this is the right password because it works on my computer. I have also tried connecting it by ethernet and nothing changed. I also got the same response when I tried to test the network with the ethernet. I can still airplay to the apple tv though when it's on wifi. I googled the problem and tried everything but nothing has worked.

Here is what I have tried...

-unplugging the apple tv and plugging it back in

-resetting the apple tv

-restoring the apple tv

-unplugging my router and plugging it back in

-turning off my ipv6

-turning home sharing on/off on itunes on my macbook pro

-connected by ethernet

I do not neccisarily need home sharing on. Just want to get back to the main menu with hulu, netflix, etc., but I can not seem to get off this screen.

Please help!!!!

Apple TV

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 7:39 PM

22 replies

Nov 25, 2017 1:21 PM in response to appleuser19565

This sounds like conference room mode. Conference room mode can be enabled in such a way that each time the Apple TV starts up, it will immediately go into conference room mode and by-pass all other menu's. This is enabled with a 4 character restrictions code, if you know this code you can exit conference room mode but if not you will need to restore the Apple TV by USB.

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source List)
  2. Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (only for Apple TV 3)
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Devices list, and then click Restore.

(You may already have a micro USB cable if you have a camera or other digital device)

Jul 26, 2015 1:19 PM in response to appleuser19565

Use your iPhone and create the Personal Hotspot on it and then connect your Apple TV to it via WiFi connection. When Apple TV is connected, then try to sign in to iTunes Store.

After signing to iTunes Store, disable Personal Hotspot on your iPhone and connect your Apple TV to your WiFi network.

If you are successful, then issue is with some settings on your Router which might be blocking your Apple TV communication with iTunes Store servers or with your ISP.

Jul 26, 2015 4:14 PM in response to iW00

SOLVED FOR ME! Thanks iWOO

Use your iPhone and create the Personal Hotspot on it and then connect your Apple TV to it via WiFi connection. When Apple TV is connected, then try to sign in to iTunes Store.

After signing to iTunes Store, disable Personal Hotspot on your iPhone and connect your Apple TV to your WiFi network.

This worked great. I connected to the Personal Hotspot (My iPad) and logged into iTunes. On every prior attempt, it would tell me that the log in was not recognized or the password was wrong. This time it worked fine. I switched to my usual WiFi network with no issue.

Apple TV stuck on home sharing/settings menu. HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.