Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 installation freezes at "Completing installation"

Hi.

I removed my Windows partition on my macbook pro 2010, and decided to do the installation all over again.

I use the bootcamp assistant and make a new Windows partition, then I insert my Windows 7cd (for mac) and the installation Begins.

It then continues the installation and restarts the computer twice, until it reaches the the last step of the installaton "Completing installation". Here it continues for about 2 minutes before it freezes completely.

The only thing to do then, is to turn off my macbook, start up in I OS, and start all over again

I really hope someone is able to help me with this issue.

Macbook pro 13'', Windows 7

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 12:20 AM

18 replies

Jul 25, 2015 10:33 AM in response to mtedk

Newer version of BCA may not allow W7 32-bit. What is your current version of BCA?

From System requirements to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support, it may depend on the exact model and BCA version, as noted below.

Supported versions of Windows
These are the supported versions of Windows(authentic, single, full-installation). Check the tables below to see which of these versions will work with your Mac.

• Windows XP: Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 (Boot Camp 3)
  • Windows Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate, Service Pack 1 or later (Boot Camp 3)
  • Windows 7: Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (Boot Camp 4 or 5.1)
  • Windows 8: Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro (Boot Camp 5.1 only)

You can also try a Disk utility Repair, in case there are issues with it. Please ensure you remove all external storage to avoid issues.

Jul 25, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Loner T

That was excatly my thought as well, that the reason could be the current version of BCA.

My current version of BCA is 5.1.4 (500).

I would really like to test the following two options, but are they possible, and can you guide me?

1. Downgrade BCA to a previous version that suppors Win 7 32 bit (perhaps the version that originally was on my macbook pro back in 2011)

2. Reset my macbook to factory settings, and install snow leopard on it.

Is it possible to do this?

I really appreciate your help.

Jul 25, 2015 11:57 AM in response to mtedk

Yes, you will need the 'Grey' disks. Please back up OSX to TM (or any other tool of your choice).

Downgrade to SL and update it all the way to the last release of SL (10.6.8) and then try BCA that came from the SL version. Note the version of BCA you get from the original restore and the version you get from SL-10.6.8.

If you have applied any recent EFI updates, you may not be able to downgrade to SL, but you can try Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

Jul 27, 2015 12:18 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you a lot for your help.

I reinstalled Snow Leopard from the disc and updated it to 10.6.8. After that, the Windows installation ran without any problems.

It must have been either my BCA version or the fact that OS had created a recovery HDD after my update to Yosemite, which caused the problem.

The only problem that I have now, is that Windows freezes at start-up, unless the installation-disc in the drive. but I guess that's a problem for a Windows support community 🙂

Once Again, thanks a lot for your help.

Windows 7 installation freezes at "Completing installation"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.