Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do my batteries drain in less than one day on my magic mouse?

I go through batteries like crazy on my magic mouse. I have tried CVS Alkaline batteries, Energizer batteries, Duracell batteries, etc, and I normally put the new batteries in, and then 5 or 6 hours later I am already getting a popup that my batteries are low on my magic mouse. Why? Is the magic mouse defective? Is this a known problem with apple's magic mouse? Also, it seems that from time to time, the mouse behaves erratically, meaning I am not even clicking on things and a simple move of the mouse selects an option, button, etc, as if I had clicked it.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 4:49 AM

Is your monitor reporting the power level accurately. Have you checked the batteries to see if they really are spent? It does appear odd after such a short time; rechargeables can run down quickly after a number of recharges but these are regular batteries.

It is rare for a mouse to be defective in that way so if the machine is still under guarantee take the mouse back and ask them to test it. The erratic behaviour is another matter. That can be due to a variety of problems, some of which these notes may help with.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203171

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201542

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2015 4:49 AM in response to jrobertsz66

Is your monitor reporting the power level accurately. Have you checked the batteries to see if they really are spent? It does appear odd after such a short time; rechargeables can run down quickly after a number of recharges but these are regular batteries.

It is rare for a mouse to be defective in that way so if the machine is still under guarantee take the mouse back and ask them to test it. The erratic behaviour is another matter. That can be due to a variety of problems, some of which these notes may help with.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203171

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201542

Jul 23, 2015 5:00 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks Seventy One - I will take your advise and take the magic mouse to the Apple store to have it tested...the machine and mouse are less than a year old, but they were purchased through my company, so I am not sure if Apple will be able to replace the mouse but at least they can diagnose it and see if something is truly wrong with it. I am basically using a USB Logitech mouse for now but I would prefer to use the magic mouse.

Also I looked at the articles you included. I am not using a trackpad, just a magic mouse, but there are some references to blue tooth / wireless interference. In my office, where I use my mac book and magic mouse 90% of the time, I have a laser printer, wireless router, bluetooth speaker, and a bluetooth headset in addition to the magic mouse. Do you think this could somehow be interfering with my mouse and causing the erratic behavior and perhaps also contributing to the battery drain?

Jul 23, 2015 5:26 AM in response to jrobertsz66

Yes the interference could well be from one of those items, especially one that has been recently introduced to the room. I see no reason why Apple cannot exchange the mouse. I would be inclined to go there, check it out (you may need an appointment0, and ask what the procedure is for something bought by a company.

Edit. The warranty lies with the purchaser, in this case the company. I guess you will need a letter of authority.

Jul 23, 2015 9:03 AM in response to jrobertsz66

I, too, have this problem. Though not as serious as your battery depletion, I have to replace Duracell Pluspower Alkaline MN1500 batteries every 7-10 days. The only "Magic" about this Mouse is it's ability at disappearing money. Good batteries are not cheap. I've tried rechargeable but my MM drains those up within a few days, plus I used to need a dozen rechargeable batteries on rotation for my MM's.

My bluetooth s/n ratio is also terrible, MM loses connection several times a day. I've a feeling it's the poor reception/transmission which chomps through batteries, though, there is nothing I can do about this; it is the same with all 3 MM's I have.

I didn't have this problem with my MacPro, just my MacMini 2012.

I've used other companies mouse devices in which batteries last months. However, due to the Gesture features and feel, I don't like those mouse's as much as Apple's MM. Is there any other manufacturer which makes a mouse that works with OS X and has all the touch scrolling and gesture features of an Apple mouse? Much as I love using it, I hate that the connection constantly drops and that I spend more on batteries per year than the cost of a MM. It's ridiculous.

Jul 23, 2015 8:34 PM in response to Neal Jackson

Thanks for your reply. It is nice to know I am not the only one out there with MM issues. Let me know if you do find a nice alternative. Right now I am stuck with my logitech mini, but I would prefer to use my MM also, if it didn't consume batteries like a HOG...:) I'll post back when I get more info from the Apple store, but it will be a week or so before I get there - the closest store is about 40 minutes from me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.