Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set a station to play all my unplayed podcasts oldest first?

I use the iOS Podcasts app because Apple inexplicably split it off from the Music app some years ago. During the skeuomorphic period, where the app was completely useless, I used Downcast, but eventually Apple (mostly) fixed the built-in app.

However, when I create a station, I don't see an option to tell the app to play episodes in chronological order, oldest first. This continues to be my preferred method of listening to my podcasts, but Podcasts seems to want to play them newest first. For that, I could go to Google Play. Seriously, for people like me who listen to story-based podcasts like "Welcome to Night Vale," the "oldest first" option is the obvious choice. Where is it, why is it so hard to find, and if it's not in the options, why not?

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 5:38 AM

Answered my own question. Apparently in Station|Settings, there's an option for "Play," which was set to "Manual," but should have been set "Oldest to Newest," which was how I recall setting up the station in the first place. Now, I can't prove that the setting changed on its own, but I sure didn't change it. I realize that Apple Music is now the main focus of Apple's audio efforts because that's mostly where the money is, but keep in mind that the only way to access the Podcasts app is to buy an iOS device--so since its users are by default paying customers, Apple should treat them right too.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2015 5:38 AM in response to Brunsworks

Answered my own question. Apparently in Station|Settings, there's an option for "Play," which was set to "Manual," but should have been set "Oldest to Newest," which was how I recall setting up the station in the first place. Now, I can't prove that the setting changed on its own, but I sure didn't change it. I realize that Apple Music is now the main focus of Apple's audio efforts because that's mostly where the money is, but keep in mind that the only way to access the Podcasts app is to buy an iOS device--so since its users are by default paying customers, Apple should treat them right too.

How do I set a station to play all my unplayed podcasts oldest first?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.