Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

idvd one step from movie

I am using iDVD (version 7.1.2(1158)) one step to create a DVD from a movie I prepared using iMovie (iMovie '09 version 8.06 (821)). The process appears to work, but the output DVD ends up being larger than the screen format (for both my laptop and my DVD player) such that the content bleeds over all the edges. It's a powerpoint based set of animated charts with alot of text that I cannot read on the screen because content is too large for the screen. (It looks perfectly fine within the iMovie project, and within iDVD if I start the file as a project.) I have tried burning both with standard and widescreen format, but outcome is the same. How can I keep the DVD output from being larger than the given display? I'm running on a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance for the help! Alan Brown

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 10:20 AM

5 replies

Jul 24, 2015 4:35 PM in response to alanbpsu

Create a Quicktime movie file of the Powerpoint slideshow and add it to a slideshow in iDVD. In the iDVD/Slideshow preference pane check the "Always scale slides to TV Safe Area" checkbox:

User uploaded file

This will ensure that the entire movie will be within the viewing portion of the TV screen.

This is the 1884 Apple commercial as a regular movie in iDVD:

User uploaded file

This is it in a slideshow as described above:

User uploaded file

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

User uploaded file

Jul 27, 2015 7:15 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks very much for the help.... the problem I have is that the powerpoint had already been converted into a movie (and the author did lots of slide transitions and background music) so I don't actually have a slide show to read in (at least not at this point - can try to get it though). I read his file into iMovie, then added one additional slide with animation via iMovie itself, then tried sharing the new result with iDVD. It appears the option you described for making slides fit the TV would be perfect, but I don't seem to see that option in iDVD. I'm assuming that's because by the time it gets to iDVD it doesn't recognize the content as a slide show. Are there any other ways to make it fit that you know of, or do I just need to go back and find the original powerpoint animations and read them directly into iDVD?

Thanks very much for the help - appears to be very close to what I need!

Alan

idvd one step from movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.