Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Base Mac Pro vs 2012 Core i7 Mac Mini?

I currently have a Mac Mini, Core i7 2.3ghz quad core. I've added a SSD for the OS and 1TB for storage. It's very fast.

However, when doing 1080p video editing, the CPU temp goes up to 200-215F which is quite hot. LONG story short- I'm considering an upgrade for two reasons.

#1 Obviously I want more power. Not sure this computer is best for video editing. It does do pretty well, a few hiccups here and there.

#2 I can only have 1 1440p monitor hooked up to this thing, with the second monitor maxing out at 1920x1200. I want 2 1440p monitors...

I'm comparing the base model Mac Pro, which is pretty expensive, to my current Mac Mini on Geekbench- and it's not a whole lot different. The Mac Pro is BETTER for sure, but not sure if it's 3k dollars different. I'm not familiar with Geekbench much- does it only test the CPU? Because I know the Mac Pro has a much better GPU than my Mini. But comparing results on Geekbench the Mac Mini is hanging with the Pro.

Any insight?

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 12:18 PM

14 replies

Jul 23, 2015 2:09 PM in response to lllaass

I was looking at those... found a 6 core 2010 model for 1700 bucks on OWC... but the benchmarks are close to the same as my Mac Mini.

So in that scenario I'd be spending 1700 to add another monitor at 1440p.... And also it only has sata ii, so the SSD would be slower.

In order to get some good value out of upgrading, the benchmarks would need to be considerably higher. Then we're talking about 12 core machine for 2-3k.

Or a marginal increase in CPU performance for 3k (the base model Mac Pro)

Jul 23, 2015 2:37 PM in response to mattd313

As I said in my previous reply you can get a blade SSD that goes in a PCle card and get speeds compatible to the blade SSD on the 2013 Pro

SSD Blade Drive for "Classic" Mac Pro

In Feb I purchased a used 2009 4-core Pro with 16 GB for $425..

Can the video app(s) you are using make use of a GPU for processing? Some work only with NVidia (CUDA) which the 2013 pro does not support

Jul 23, 2015 2:54 PM in response to lllaass

Sorry I missed that. That's an idea...

I use Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015, so I'm honestly not sure about your question as to whether it makes use of the GPU or not.

(Just looked it up, and it appears to, but perhaps only a limited list of cards are supported)

I'm new to being concerned about specs if you couldn't tell. I've only just begun doing video editing, before only concerned myself with Photoshop which was easy using one screen and a decent computer.

I'm just confused as to whether I need to focus on the CPU performance or GPU? And if GPU can be used, which cards can the older Mac Pros use?

#overwhelmed

Thanks for the feedback thus far. 🙂

Jul 24, 2015 7:47 AM in response to mattd313

This is kind of disturbing. This is a benchmark comparison of my Mac Mini and a base model Mac Pro. The Mac Mini set me back 799. The Mac Pro is 2799.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/3038727?baseline=2646756

I guess I know why they discontinued the quad core i7 Mac Mini... this thing hangs quite well with a computer 2000 dollars more expensive. If only it had a better GPU...

Jul 24, 2015 8:52 AM in response to mattd313

Refresh my memory but the Mini dropped the true 4-core i7's, have used lower power units - not designed for running hours on end at full stress load - things Xeon processors are designed for and love.

Soldered. Limited RAM options.

Is Thunderbolt rather than TB2 to drive displays AND high-speed storage?

People buy a 4,1, flash firmware to 5,1 and throw in 1333MHz DDR3 along with Westmere 36/56xx 3.4GHz 6- or 12-core.

You can't do that! with a Mini.

The 6,1 with dual AMD D700s @ $1000 extra are of course not cutting edge or tuned for every need.

The Classic Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 can be, you can put one or two GTX or AMD cards in. And still throw in 1500MB/sec blade PCIe-SSD AND without going to Thunderbolt drive 4k or 5k displays and 4 x 6TB internal storage.

Jul 24, 2015 9:10 AM in response to mattd313

You can't kill off the 2009-2012 and that is what you are saying. Heck, can't really kill off 2006's so far for the willing.

New Requirement: PCIe-SSD? got it? Must have Intel 5th Gen with 5000+ video? How about making SATA 3.2 a requirement? or PCIe 3,0? Or a motherboard with Thunderbird (or maybe TB3, or USB-C 3.1?)

Does it really matter? only if what you do depends on something that does not exist today - so it is unknowable - cutting off security updates seems 'cold' though.

Jul 24, 2015 9:15 AM in response to The hatter

I was told that the 2006-2007 models can't update to Yosemite. Maybe that's different than not getting security patches, though.

I guess if the older Mac Pro will perform similar to the machine I have now- without getting this hot, and supporting dual 1440p monitors, I'd be okay as long as it's not like 2,000 bucks. Otherwise I ought to just suck it up and deal with one 1440p display.

The performance of this Mac Mini is pretty awesome, especially for how cheap it was. But it certainly has some limitations that are starting to get on my nerves.

Do either of you have experience buying used Macs from OWC or PowerMax?

Jul 24, 2015 9:30 AM in response to mattd313

You said "I was told that the 2006-2007 models can't update to Yosemite. Maybe that's different than not getting security patches, though."

They are the same now since the 2006/2007 can only go to Lion and Apple is not updating Lion anymore.

I would consider an Apple refurbished Mac. For Mac Prtos they only have the 2013 model.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

I have purchased an Apple refurbished 2012 Min and Apple TV and I had no problems.

Jul 24, 2015 12:12 PM in response to lllaass

Yea, the Mini I'm on now is a refurb. It's been great.

I could get a refurb from Apple for about the same price (with tax savings) from an out of state retailer brand new. Even still, the price is steep.

I'm considering building a computer instead. I'd just hate to have my employer spend ~2800 for a base model Mac Pro. The 6 core would be a huge jump in performance but that one would run ~3500. I could build one similar to the base model for maybe ~1400.

Really I'm just torn!

Base Mac Pro vs 2012 Core i7 Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.