Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect HDMI with USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

I have a new MacBook 12' Retina (2015) and a USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter with an HDMI socket. I am trying to connect both a HDMI-TV (nothing special) and an ACER display (VGA exit, I use an VGA to HDMI adapter) using this adapter, but the "displays" menu in the settings application does not show any available screens for mirroring. The other ports on that multiport adapter do work however. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this was a VERY expensive adapter... ;-) Cheers from Berlin!

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Retina, 12-inch, early 2015

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 11:00 AM

17 replies

Apr 10, 2017 6:52 PM in response to birkenkrahe

I also have a similar problem.

Macbook 12 inch Retina (2015) and Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. My UHD Samsung monitor flickers every few minutes. The flicker problem has been consistent:

1) tried different resolutions (1920x1080, UHD, mirror mode)

2) performed a SMC reset

3) updated the firmware of the adapter (v2.33)

4) tried various HDMI cables

I bought a third party adapter and was surprised to find that the display works without flickering (NEXT JCA374) with my Macbook 12 inch Retina. So I know it's not an issue with the Samsung UHD monitor.

I would still like to see Apple resolve this issue with the adapter or issue a replacement adapter.

Jul 23, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Lanny

Hi Lanny - I'll try to be more clear: I have tried to use the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter with two screens, and neither screen will work which puzzles me. It puzzles me that they are not even detected while the other ports of the adapter seem to work:

- one screen is a Samsung HDMI TV - nothing special, I think it has a 1980 x 1080 resolution. I connect the HDMI directly to the Apple Multiport adapter

- the other screen is an ACER computer screen with a VGA connection only. To connect it to the multiport adapter, I first connect the VGA to an HDMI and then plug the HDMI into the multiport.

I hope this is clear...thanks for asking for clarification. Any idea what to do? Cheers!

Jul 24, 2015 5:47 AM in response to birkenkrahe

Hi, the problem is solved but I think it is worth reporting because it required the Apple support service!

Actual problem: turns out that some of these MacBooks when they come out of the factory have the ports screwed up in the sense that the ports do not get enough juice to drive external screens. Apple support told me to do a Power unit reset after which the problem disappeared.

Steps: In order to do this, you need to shut down the computer first. Then you need to press the buttons "Shift" + "Control" + "Alt" + "Power" simultaneously. The screen should not come on - it should only show the battery status. Now you power up again and - at least for me - the problem disappeared. Thanks for the other helpful hints however, but I am glad I didn't have to go to the store!

Jul 24, 2015 9:21 AM in response to birkenkrahe

This did not the trick for me 😟. Whenever I plug in my monitor into the USB-C dongle via HDMI the screen starts flickering. It looks like, that the MacBook is continuously switching from single to dual screen and back. Only occasionally external monitor keeps displaying the screen. This is what I tried:

- Changed monitors (2x)

- Changed HDMI cable (3x)

- Changed USB-C to HDMI dongle (2x) - I ordered 2 for office and home.

- Restarted / Shutdown

- Power unit reset

- Re-plug of the USB-C dongle into MacBook

I'm getting the feeling, that the MacBook itself is broken.

Ideas anyone?

Jul 25, 2015 10:17 PM in response to ISA1337

Ideas anyone?

Your problem may be HDCP, (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).

Apple's Mac lines includes a form of digital copy protection that will prevent protected media, such as DRM-infused iTunes movies, from playing back on devices that aren't compliant with the new priority protection measures.

The Hollywood demanded technology is called High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) and aims to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across a variety of display connectors, even if such copying is not in violation of fair use laws.

Your display may not be on the "approved" list, or was removed from it. (Some displays fail the HDCP handshake more than others.)

Can you try a different display to test?

Jul 27, 2015 2:34 AM in response to Ziatron

Never heard of that HDCP. I tested different displays:

- LG 27" (1920x1080) -> flickers/broken with HDMI. Works with D-SUB

- LG 24" -> flickers

- BenQ -> works via HDMI

Is there a general incompatibility between Apple and LG displays?

Note: I did a 1,5 hour session with Apple support. We also tried the SMC Reset without success.

Cannot connect HDMI with USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.