Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4 Safari Irreversible Crash -- Spam dialog pop-up won't go away, and resetting the system from "Settings" doesn't work.

Hello, recently got my iPhone 6 Plus and it's great. Business as usual, using safari when all of a sudden a pop-up activates, opens a new tab, and a dialog comes up that says:

"http://geeksupport.one -- The page at I-Phone-support says: Warning IOS - crash Report / Due to a third party application in your iPhone/iPad, IOS crashed ; Contact Support for an Immediate Fix: "

This is obviously spam and I have no intention of visiting that site or calling the number they list, but this is incredibly frustrating because there's nothing I can do that resolves this. I've tried quitting the app within my iPhone, shutting down and restarting, and I even resorted to "resetting" the phone settings (even had to re-configure my wi-fi and fingerprint passcodes), and the darn thing still didn't get fixed. Clicking "OK" on the dialog re-launches the dialog as soon as it disappears, and no amount of lightning finger speed allows me to close out the safari tabs in time.

Safari is now unusable, and I literally have no idea how to fix this short of restoring my phone to an earlier state...which I don't want to do because a) that's annoying (and I shouldn't have to), and b) there's no guarantee it'll even work.

If anyone has any experience or tried-and-true solutions, I would be very grateful.

All best,

E

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 12:09 PM

I seem to have manufactured a fix:

1) Open a link through another app (either send yourself a link via email, or click on something in another app), and Safari will then launch.

2) As Safari launches, the link you clicked should open in a new tab

3) As #2 is happening, I was able to click the "tabs" button in the lower righthand corner, and this freely allowed me to close out previous tabs, and bypassed the spam dialog entirely.

Whew! Lol, I hope this helped some people. Definitely annoying!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2015 12:09 PM in response to ebdrums

I seem to have manufactured a fix:

1) Open a link through another app (either send yourself a link via email, or click on something in another app), and Safari will then launch.

2) As Safari launches, the link you clicked should open in a new tab

3) As #2 is happening, I was able to click the "tabs" button in the lower righthand corner, and this freely allowed me to close out previous tabs, and bypassed the spam dialog entirely.

Whew! Lol, I hope this helped some people. Definitely annoying!

Jul 25, 2015 8:00 AM in response to JazzGala

To clear the problem (which may be only a temporary fix, if you go back to the same site that was hijacked):

• Turn on Airplane mode
  • Press HOME once; wait a couple of seconds, and double-press HOME
  • Scroll to Safari and flick the screen image up to kill the Safari app
  • Press HOME
  • Go to Settings/Safari, scroll down, and tap Clear History and Website Data
  • Press HOME
  • Reboot the phone by holding HOME and SLEEP at the same time until an Apple logo appears
  • Turn off Airplane mode

This should fix the immediate problem.

iOS 8.4 Safari Irreversible Crash -- Spam dialog pop-up won't go away, and resetting the system from "Settings" doesn't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.