Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.0.9 Imac 27 inch 2011

Hi everyone,

Recently I have started making movies to upload to my Youtube channel on my 2013 MacBook Air 13 inch. I wanted to then pick up some movies on my iMac 27 inch 2011 computer and continue editing them there.. Importing movies from my network drive directly to the iMac btw.

The main problem is that I can edit and add transitions to all my movies on the MacBook Air, but on the iMac when I attempt to do the same thing and I add movie clips with transitions inserted in-between the clips. Upon playback, there are no transitions and the first part of the clip after the transition is always black.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It is driving me nuts, as I have no problem on my humble MacBook Air!

Looking forward to any advice or help I may receive, cheers Mark

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 12:46 PM

16 replies

Jul 23, 2015 2:04 PM in response to Pluckaduck

I'm not sure I completely understand what you want to do but if you want to edit the same projects on two different computers they both have to be running exactly the same version of iMovie since Apple have changed project file formats several times even during minor iMovie updates. In general I would not

recommend doing this - it is too easy to get in a mess.

To use an iMovie library on a network drive you need to create a disk image. This thread gives details: iMovie 10.0 and Network Drives

Geoff.

Jul 23, 2015 2:09 PM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply. As it stands now, I am just wanting to put together films on the iMac, so, no cloud or even network drives, I just import the mp4 video from a folder on a shared drive and thats it.

So the problem is as previously mentioned, transitions do not work and there is black video playback after each inserted transition. The MacBook Air does not display this behaviour?

Cheers, Mark

Jul 23, 2015 2:26 PM in response to Pluckaduck

Sorry I'm still confused. So iMovie is working fine on your MacBook Air?

When you go to your iMac do you want to

a. import the same clips as you used for the MacBook Air project

b. import the movie created and shared in the MacBook Air to use in a new iMovie project on the iMac

c. use the same iMovie library that you created on the MacBook Air

or is not a, b or c?

Geoff.

Jul 23, 2015 2:49 PM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply once again.

I am starting from scratch on the iMac with imported mp4 files that I would also use if I were working on the MB Air, I would import them from the same shared drive for both PC's.

So to clarify, a fresh movie or trailer on the iMac, using imported mp4 video files. I have a stock trailer for the beginning and end of my videos, these are placed at the beginning and end, I then insert a transition, doesn't matter which one as they all do not work. I then insert the video clip or clips I have imported between the two trailers. On playback of the whole project, there are no transitions and when it passes on to the video clip the first and last seconds are black screen.

Hopefully this makes some sense now.

Thanks looking forward to your reply, cheers Mark

Jul 23, 2015 3:12 PM in response to Pluckaduck

I'm not familiar with trailers having never used them but I got the impression that the whole project has either to be a trailer or an ordinary movie.

One way to add multiple trailers as parts of a movie project would be to create and share the trailers first then import them as clips to use with the other video clips in the new movie project. This should definitely work though there may be some quality loss because of the eventual double rendering.

According to http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0.8/#/mov07b796e65 You can convert a trailers into movies then use these with other clips. is this what you are doing - and having trouble with transitions between the trailers and other clips?

Geoff.

Jul 23, 2015 11:55 PM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

Maybe this will help, you see that the trailers are basically photos with a lead in and lead out overlay, these are copied from another project and pasted in the time line. The gaps in-between are the transitions, on the iMac, as I playback the project, the white play bar passes the transition but it does not show. As the video in the middle starts to play the first 1 or 2 seconds is blacked out. As I said, on the MB Air there are no problems, all transitions work and there are no blacked out frames.

It is very frustrating to basically have the same equipment and software and not have them working equally as well??????

For an example of a video I edited on my MB Air please see this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3nVakNig-k

Thanks for your interest in my problem, looking forward to your reply, cheers Mark

User uploaded file

Jul 24, 2015 7:02 AM in response to Pluckaduck

If you are reading from the same iMovie library on both machines then the problem must be with your installation of iMovie on your iMac. Try the following:

quitting and restarting iMovie

restarting the mac

quitting iMovie and deleting iMovie preferences

running iMovie under a temporary guest account

trashing and reinstalling iMovie.

Geoff.

Jul 24, 2015 9:47 AM in response to GeeD

Thank you Geoff once again for your reply. The first 2 items I have already tried. iMovie preferences in Yosemite are missing or hidden for this version of iMovie. Could you show me where to find them? as I have read that this can help the problem.

I may use the last suggestion, how do I trash it completely and can I re download it from the Appstore?

Cheers Mark

Jul 24, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Pluckaduck

To reveal the library see:

http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-pro-blog/2014/12/19/show-the-user-library-fold er-in-os-x-yosemite.html#.VbKSmHiMW-I

The preference file to delete is <username>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovieApp.LSSharedFileList.plist

Just move the app from the application folder to the trash (don't empty it yet). You will have to enter your admin password. Then go to to the app store > Purchases find iMovie and click on install. If iMovie now works OK empty the trash. If you have a problem reinstalling then you can go to the copy in the trash and right click "put back" (password again).

Geoff.

Jul 29, 2015 5:53 AM in response to Pluckaduck

Hi Geoff,

No luck I'm afraid. I tried the delete preferences step. Then I tried trashing the iMovie app, but upon opening the App Store, it says open instead of install and when I hit open the older version that this version replaced opens in its place? I put both in the trash and signed into a different account and still no luck?

Running out of options here.................what to do?

Look forward to your reply, cheers Mark

Jul 31, 2015 1:41 AM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply. In my previous post I stated that I placed both versions in the trash and that had no effect on the App store. It still said open instead of install? The old version wasn't removed when the new iMovie was installed. On installation Apple and OSX created a folder and placed the older version in it during the installation of iMovie 10.0.9.

So I am at a loss as to how to proceed? I don't want to risk trashing the iMovie app and then not being able to re download it from the App store.

What are your thoughts? Looking forward to your reply, cheers, Mark

iMovie 10.0.9 Imac 27 inch 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.