Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Roaming network settings in AirPort Utility not updated

I have a AirPort time capsule and an AirPort Extreme and would like to set up a Roaming Network with a cable between the Time Capsule and the AirPort Extreme. Not using Wifi Extension.

I have tried to set up a Roaming network in AirPort Utility using this guide: Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n) - Apple Support

But the settings demonstrated in the pictures is not the updated version of AirPort Utility. I have version 6.3.5 but all the settings in the page above are from a very old version of AirPort Utility.

Is there someone who knows the best way to set up this in the new version of AirPort Utility?

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 2:09 PM

7 replies

Jul 23, 2015 2:33 PM in response to slattegard

Just to clarify:

1. First I have a router connected to Internet from my Internet Provider. It is connected with wires to printers, TV etc, using DHCP

2. Then I have an AirPort Time Capsule connected to the first router.

3. In the end I have an Air Port extreme to extend the network . I could connect this AirPort Extreme to one of the three Ethernet LAN in the AirPort Time Capsule OR to the first router from the Internet Provider. I don't know if there will be any difference if connect it to AirPort Time Capsule or the Router from the Internet Provider.

Jul 23, 2015 4:27 PM in response to slattegard

Is there someone who knows the best way to set up this in the new version of AirPort Utility?

The new version of AirPort Utility uses a configuration "wizard". All that you have to do is assign a device name that you want to call the AirPort Extreme, and the wizard takes care of everything else. It could not really be any easier.

The wizard does not tell you that you will have a "roaming" network......it uses the term "extend using Ethernet".....but it is the exact same thing.

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the Time Capsule (I assume that the Time Capsule is working correctly now, correct?) to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme and run the setup wizard.

The Setup Guide will tell you how to get the wizard running depending on whether you are using a newer Mac or an iPhone or iPad to set things up. If you need more assistance, post back.

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n) - Apple Support will soon be close to 4 years out of date. The basic information is OK, but the "how to" is not helpful at all unless you are using an operating system that was current 3-4 years ago.

Jul 27, 2015 11:40 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks!

I still have some questions. I don't have the option "Extend using Ethernet" . I have this choices:

First meny in AirPort Utility (on a Mac with Yosemite 10.10.4):

Headline: "This AirPort Express vill be set upp to Extend "NETWORKNAME".

First row: "Base Station to Extend": (a drop down list where my Time Capsule is, and I have chosen the name "NETWORKNAME").

Second row: "Base station Name: (Input where I can type in the name of the new AirPorts Express name)

Question 1: AirPort Utility sugests a name for the AirPortBase Station ("NN's Airport Express"). But should I change it to the same name as the Base Station to Extend (=NETWORKNAME)?

Question 2. Instead of this options on the first page I can click the button "Other Options" in the left corner. Then I have a page with four new choices:

a) "Create a new network" I have tried this first and named it exaclty the same as "NETWORKNAME". It workt but I don't think thats the right way to do this.

b) "Add to an existing network". This seems to be exactly the same as in the first page.

c) "Replace an existing device". Not right in this case.

d) "Restore previous settings". Not right in this case.

Is this one of the two first a better choice when I would like to extend a network with Ethernet Cable?

Questions 3. When I have set up the AirPort express and go to the "Wireless" tab the Network Mode is set to: "Create a wireless network". Is that right or should it be "Join a wireless network" or "Extend a wireless network"?

Question 4: When click the "Wireless Option" button at the Wireless tab I can enable 5 Ghz network as well. Is that good choice? If yes: The preset name of the 5GHz network is "NETWORKNAME 5GHz". But isn't it better to change the name to the same as "NETWORKNAME"?

Now I have done the settings with a TimeCapsule + AirPort Express + two 5Ghz networks (one on the TimeCapsule and one on the AirPort Express) with the same name (NETWORKNAME). But don't know if thats right for the best performance of the network.

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2015 12:10 PM in response to slattegard

I still have some questions. I don't have the option "Extend using Ethernet" . I have this choices:

First meny in AirPort Utility (on a Mac with Yosemite 10.10.4):

Headline: "This AirPort Express vill be set upp to Extend "NETWORKNAME".

First row: "Base Station to Extend": (a drop down list where my Time Capsule is, and I have chosen the name "NETWORKNAME").

Second row: "Base station Name: (Input where I can type in the name of the new AirPorts Express name)

You don't choose this option, the wizard will display it during the setup if your AirPort has a good Ethernet connection and you follow through with the prompts from the wizard. "Extend using Ethernet" will display during the setup if you went ahead and set things up, but you might have missed it. We will go through this with you if you want.

Question 1: AirPort Utility sugests a name for the AirPortBase Station ("NN's Airport Express"). But should I change it to the same name as the Base Station to Extend (=NETWORKNAME)?

Use a short simple name for the AirPort Express. Mine is Express, for example. Do NOT use the same base station or device name that other AirPorts might be using.

Question 2. Instead of this options on the first page I can click the button "Other Options" in the left corner. Then I have a page with four new choices:

a) "Create a new network" I have tried this first and named it exaclty the same as "NETWORKNAME". It workt but I don't think thats the right way to do this.

b) "Add to an existing network". This seems to be exactly the same as in the first page.

c) "Replace an existing device". Not right in this case.

d) "Restore previous settings". Not right in this case.

Is this one of the two first a better choice when I would like to extend a network with Ethernet Cable?

None of this is applicable. The wizard will choose the correct setup for you.

Questions 3. When I have set up the AirPort express and go to the "Wireless" tab the Network Mode is set to: "Create a wireless network". Is that right or should it be "Join a wireless network" or "Extend a wireless network"?

Create a wireless network is the same as extend using Ethernet. Unfortunately, Apple never bothers to tell you this.

Question 4: When click the "Wireless Option" button at the Wireless tab I can enable 5 Ghz network as well. Is that good choice? If yes: The preset name of the 5GHz network is "NETWORKNAME 5GHz". But isn't it better to change the name to the same as "NETWORKNAME"?

Entering a check mark in the box next to 5 GHz does not enable the 5 GHz network. It allows you to assign a different name to the 5 GHz network. Both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks are always on. You cannot turn one off and leave the other on and vice versa. But, you can turn both off.

Good arguments can be made for or against using the option to assign a different name to the 5 GHz network. That can be a long discussion, and we will not tackle that now. My recommendation for most users is that leave the 5 GHz name box unchecked. Then, both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks use the same name and wireless devices will choose which one to connect to based on their own capabilities and distance in relation to the AirPort.

At this point, I'm not clear on where things stand. It appears as if you set up an AirPort and it is working correctly.

Jul 27, 2015 1:00 PM in response to slattegard

When you connect an Ethernet cable from a LAN <--> port on your main AirPort to the WAN "O" port on a new AirPort that you want to use to extend the network.....and you then start the setup wizard......the first screen will look like this:

User uploaded file

In the example above, a new AirPort Express will be set up to extend the network that is already being provided by by an AirPort Extreme, called AEBS.

You would enter a name that you want to call the AirPort Express in the Base Station Name box. Keep is simple

Click Next.......and the next screen that will appear will look like this:

User uploaded file

Do you see how the message has changed to indicate that the AirPort Express is being set up to extend using Ethernet? This is the detail that you probably missed. "Extend using Ethernet" confirms that the wizard picked up the Ethernet connection between the AirPorts and automatically will configure things correctly the way that you want.

The next screen that will appear will simply say Setup Complete, and you click Done to end the process.

So, if you have the AirPorts connected using Ethernet, and you run the setup wizard.......all that you really have to do is assign a device name to the AirPort this is being set up. The wizard takes care of everything else automatically.

IF......you did not have the AirPorts connected using an Ethernet cable when you ran the setup wizard, the wizard would configure the Express in this case to wirelessly extend the signal from main AirPort router. Again.....all that you would really need to do is assign a name that you want to call the Express. The wizard takes care of everything else for you automatically.

The only way that things could possibly be any easier would be if the wizard assigned the device name for you. It does suggest a name, but it lets you change that if you want.

Jul 28, 2015 1:26 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks! You are right, I missed the change of the message. I have now done as you wrote and also named it with a different name. And it works fine!

I was confused when Apple wrote the name and setting must be the same on every new AirPort Express in their instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204616

User uploaded file

I think Apple should have had time to update the instructions during the last 4 years. It's very confusing when you can't find any instructions for the "new" Air Port Utility. And when the old has information that's not correct.

Thanks again!

Roaming network settings in AirPort Utility not updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.