Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen is black on boot up

Does anyone know a proper fix for this issue?

About a week ago my macbook pro has started booting up to a completely black screen.

It has actually started up properly, the keyboard lights up, if you hit a few keys you eventually hear the sound that you get on the login screen if you don't click a users icon to login.

I've run diagnostics by holding down the d key on boot up, there are no hardware issues.

I've followed the advice here, http://reinout.vanrees.org/weblog/2015/01/06/macbook-pro-black-screen.html, to reset the SMC and the PRAM/NVRAM but that doesn't sort it.

The only workaround I have is when I plug an HDMI cable into the HDMI slot and take it out again the screen lights up with the login screen.

Any advice to sort this would be appreciated!

I'm thinking it must be a software thing, I installed the 10.10.4 OS X update on 3rd July, followed by the iTunes 12.12.1 update on 14th July and do't know if these have caused the problem.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 2:24 PM

5 replies

Jul 23, 2015 2:25 PM in response to cadavey22

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may help after an OS X update or upgrade.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

About Safe Mode

Screen is black on boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.