Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro freezing and slower after hard drive replaced. help

Hello, I've been hesitant to ask this but oh well.

Ever since I got my macbook pro back it's been running slower and freezing more than before. The hard drive got damaged and I have the warranty so I gave it to the shop, and they sent it to their agent or whatever and they replaced the hard drive. But now it's slower and freezing more, like I said. Something as simple as trying to open the system preference and the rainbow spinning thingy comes out, it didn't use to do that, or when I am on a specific website (e.g online game), it is slow and freezes.

Another thing is I can't seem to be able to update 3 apps (keynote, numbers, and pages), but i still have the update notification there. And when i try to update, it says "This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled." I am confused.

Is this normal? or should I be checking with them again?

I can't take it anymore because it's bugging me and knowing that this was never an issue before.

Note: I don't even have many things in my laptop (capacity is 499.76 GB and available is 472.63 GB) compared to before I gave it for repair.

and I am operating on Yosemite 10.10.4

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 3:07 PM

10 replies

Jul 23, 2015 3:16 PM in response to F. elnour

It could be that the replaced HDD had another ID entered. A guess on my part.

I would back up the user data. Then boot the MBP with the OPTION + COMMAND + R keys.

The result should be a display with a revolving globe.

By following the directions you will be connected to the Apple servers.

It will allow you to ERASE the HDD and install the ORIGINAL OSX (Lion 10.7)

Test the MBP to see if it operates better. If so install you data and then Yosemite and your updates.

Ciao.

Jul 23, 2015 3:18 PM in response to F. elnour

I suggest you might start from scratch:

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer. I would carefully restore only your files and known compatible third-party software. Restore software from original media. Check for compatibility at: App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Jul 27, 2015 4:23 PM in response to F. elnour

I can't really say if it is normal or not. Get System information about your computer and get information about your disk drive. You should be able to tell the make and model of the disk unit they replaced it with. I would compare it to the model that came with your computer. Maybe the drive is a slower model. That would be the first thing I would check.

Normally I would expect the drive to work like the replaced drive. You really shouldn't notice a difference.

Paul

Jul 28, 2015 3:56 AM in response to Kappy

yeah, the encrypting is not done yet, i thought of that to be the problem, but then it's taking so long. and I think my drive was encrypted before.

regarding the spotlight indexing the drive, do you mean i have to re-index? i did that, but if you can elaborate a little i'll appreciate it a lot.

Already very grateful for the help, guys.

Macbook pro freezing and slower after hard drive replaced. help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.