Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for app to track my wife's phone real time...

My wife is seriously directionally challenged. I can show her a route to drive somewhere, we can drive it together, I can give her photos of where she needs to turn, etc., etc. and somehow she always makes a wrong turn, gets completely lost in the wrong direction, terribly upset and calls me for help. And to top if off, she's horrible at communicating where she is so she keeps driving and making turns and I can never catch up with her location to tell her where to go, what turn to make, which lane to be in, etc.

So, what I'm looking for is an app that we can install on our 5S phones that will allow me to get second to second updates on a detailed street map as to where she actually is. With that info I can then guide her correctly. What I'm looking for is just something that will give me that info. I'm not interesting in eavesdropping or monitoring her in any way. Just a simple app to see where she is from moment to moment. If the app has other features, then fine. But I really just need the second to second tracking feature.

One of the problems I've found researching the various apps online is none seem to say how often the location data is updated. Every minute or so, or even every 10 seconds or so is not sufficient as she's usually driving when she calls. What I need will update second by second.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 3:57 PM

20 replies

Jul 23, 2015 4:43 PM in response to valbelvalbel

Hmm....in the Find Your Friends support area it says this:

How often does my device transmit my location with Find My Friends?

Your location is sent from your device when someone requests to see your location. It isn't transmitted on a regular interval.

If you have to request the other person's location and it won't update at a regular or frequent interval, it's really of no use to me.

Any more suggestions?

Jul 23, 2015 5:08 PM in response to valbelvalbel

If you have to request the other person's location and it won't update at a regular or frequent interval, it's really of no use to me.

Well, when you open the app it requests your wife's location. You then get updates as often as you press the refresh - if you press it every second you'll get per-second updates as to where she is/where she's headed, etc. Maybe not perfect, but the price is still right.

Jul 23, 2015 5:25 PM in response to valbelvalbel

When you are showing your wife the route - is she driving or are you? It may help if you let her drive and at the same time as giving her instructions also recorded them along with various businesses etc along the way.

Have you tried reviewing with the various street views and also the applications that give a driver point by point instructions?

Jul 24, 2015 5:51 AM in response to valbelvalbel

Find My Friends works great. At any time I can open the app and see my wife's location (and of course she can do the same for me). It won't be updating unless you open the app. If you simply leave the app open it will be updating every few minutes or so but you can press the refresh button at any time to get an update right away.

Have you ever considered just entering the directions into Maps (or Google Maps) and have it give her turn-by-turn directions? It will tell her when she makes a turn how far to go and whether the next turn will be right or left, gives an update on that turn direction about 1/2 to 1/4 mile away and then as you approach the turn location. If you turn the wrong way, Maps will automatically either re-route or tell you how to get back to your route.

Jul 24, 2015 10:28 AM in response to ZikzakCorp

'Problem is she's distracted enough with her driving. And trying to get her to know how to use the maps app or WAZE or similar GPS functions is really not an option. She has many wonderful qualities but being tech-savvy is not one of them. Heck, she can't even use the nav in her car and forgets it's even there when I ask her what street she's on.

To be clear, I want to be able to give her verbal instructions over the phone (she'd be hand's free, of course) and I simply need to be able to tell where she is because she has no idea.

I did a test last night to get the location of her phone on my phone by using Find My Friends. I then did a short walk down the block. It seems to work fine, though the position refreshes don't happen as often as I like and that may be a problem at 25 to 35 mph. But at this point it's better than nothing. I'm going to try WAZE next. And if that doesn't work, maybe an app from Life360.

Thanks again.

Jul 24, 2015 10:33 AM in response to valbelvalbel

Studies show that holding a hands free phone conversation while driving is no safer than actually holding a phone to your head when driving. If she's having trouble, she needs to pull over. If she has that many problems driving from point A to point B, that's an issue that should probably be raised with her doctor.

It's possible to allow someone to 'follow' your drive when using Waze. If she really can't understand spoken instructions from an app like Waze saying "Turn Right in 100 feet", then there is a serious problem there that needs to be addressed.

Not trying to be judgmental here, just stating what should be obvious.

Looking for app to track my wife's phone real time...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.