Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem With iPod Touch 6g Home Button?

Hello everyone,

I just bought the new iPod touch today and I was pretty excited to take it out of it's box. However, I got a nasty surprise as I pressed the home button and a rather noisy "clicking" sound was made. If I continue to press the home button it continues to make a clicking noise, almost like something is loose or it is stuck. It is slightly difficult to press it (I feel myself having to apply some extra pressure). My older iPod touch 5g never had this problem and I'm afraid that I got a bad 6g model. Now, do I go to the Genius Bar? If so, how would I go about convincing someone that it is a problem, because I spent $270 and I do not intend on getting gyped. If someone can help, thank you so much!

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 4:16 PM

9 replies

Jul 26, 2015 2:32 PM in response to MarioT14

I bought a new 6g last Tuesday (from the UK) and the home button is really noisy. I still have my 5g, and that has a really nice smooth and quiet action that I really appreciate. The 6g clicky one is really annoying me. I know it seems like a small thing, but I use the home button a lot and would really like a quieter one. I guess I'll get used to it over time, but still.

Jul 26, 2015 2:39 PM in response to conkerz

If you have a noisy home button like I did, you can bring it to an Apple Store (if you have one near you) and get it exchanged for a new one within 14 days of buying it. I went to the same Apple Store where I bought my iPod touch 6g and I explained to someone what my problem was. He exchanged it with no problem. The home button on the new iPod is so quiet sometimes I forget I press it!

Jul 26, 2015 2:43 PM in response to MarioT14

Did they give you a new one or a refurb? Mine's only 6 days old so I don't want a refurb. I'm near an Apple store tomorrow afternoon so can take mine in. Did you get to try the replacement first to check the button? They don't normally like taking new ones out of the box. I'm going to take my 5g in so they can hear the difference!

Jul 26, 2015 3:08 PM in response to conkerz

I got a new one. The guy pressed the button a few times and said that, based on what I told him, that the button could be faulty and it can happen during manufacturing. I opened the box up outside the store and pressed the button, without taking the iPod out of it, and it was fine. I read the return/exchange policy on the receipt I got and it said that you could exchange your iPod within the 14 days. If it helps, bring your 5th gen to compare and tell the person you think the 6th gen is faulty. It's what I did! Best of luck. 🙂

Jul 27, 2015 1:14 PM in response to MarioT14

Thanks Mario. I went to the Apple store today and the manager said as it was a new model, it was made differently to the 5g (it's not) and that all the home buttons were noisy. But when I checked the 3 demo units, they were all silent. He said this was because people had been pushing the home button for a week since the release and probably made it quieter?? Anyway, I got him to open a new box for me (I had to pay again as I'd got the previous one from the Apple store so couldn't do a swap) and the one in the box was even noisier, so got an immediate refund for that. Funnily enough, someone else in the store checked my 5g against my 6g and said the difference in volume was huge. So I'll give it another week and see if I can get used to it. It's strange there are so many variations on just how noisy a home button can be. It's just the luck of the draw whether you get a quiet or a loud one.

Aug 3, 2015 6:49 AM in response to MarioT14

Well, having decided to live with the noisy home button, I ended up having to return it anyway, as the cable was faulty (kept connecting and disconnecting when charging) and the iPod got pretty hot when charging. So I returned it to Apple and bought one from Argos this morning, and it has a nice quiet home button and doesn't get heated when plugged in! Loving it now 🙂

Problem With iPod Touch 6g Home Button?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.