Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable To Update GarageBand After Switching Apple ID

When I purchased my computer, I signed in under a shared Apple ID, under which the standard-issue Apple iLife and iWork programs came free. I recently switched to my own Apple ID, but found that when prompted to update GarageBand from within the software, I was prompted by the Mac App Store to purchase it for $4.99. When I logged in using my old Apple ID, I was confronted with the same scenario. Is there perhaps something I was doing incorrectly, or are there other steps that I must take in order to get the latest version of this program? I am aware that programs are tethered to their original purchasers, but that doe snot explain why I was unable to update under the old Apple ID. I even went as far as to delete it and tried to "re-download" it, but I would still have ad to pay $4.99 (following this prompt, I recovered GarageBand from the trash).

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Mid-2013 13"

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 7:34 PM

5 replies

Jul 24, 2015 12:04 PM in response to TheChessPlayer

Your welcome. 🙂

When the first number of a version number changes, it is usually a major new release, that requires a paid upgrade. As long as the first number stays the same you will get free updates.

There was a very short time when GarageBand 10 first came out, that the upgrade was free, but we had to pay for the instruments and loops with an in-app purchase for $4.99. And that caused a major outrage. So now the app needs to be purchased, but there are no more in-app purchases. Essentially we are paying the same amount.

One more thing: GarageBand 10 is very different from GarageBand '11. Don't uninstall GarageBand '11 when you upgrade. Keep it installed. You may want to fall back on GarageBand '11 for things that are not supported in GarageBand 10. And you may want to use the GaregBand '11 sounds and loops with GarageBand 10.0

Unable To Update GarageBand After Switching Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.