Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect a Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor using a Mini DisplayPort adapter AND a Thunderbolt display to my MacBook Pro equipped with a Thunderbolt port?

I had a MacBook Pro and a Mini DisplayPort Monitor.

I would like to connect a second monitor.

Would that work if I buy a Thunderbolt display?

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 5:23 PM

1 reply

Jul 24, 2015 12:04 AM in response to ikoeper

It depends on the model MacBook Pro. If it has Mini DisplayPort, not Thunderbolt, you can't use a Thunderbolt display.

If t has two Thunderbolt ports, plug one display into each port.

If it has one Thunderbolt port, plug the Thunderbolt display into the computer's Thunderbolt port, plug a Thunderbolt disk drive (with two Thunderbolt ports) into the Thunderbolt port on the back of the Thunderbolt display, and plug the Mini DisplayPort display into the disk drive's second Thunderbolt port.

(The Mini DisplayPort display won't work plugged directly into the Thunderbolt display.)

Can I connect a Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor using a Mini DisplayPort adapter AND a Thunderbolt display to my MacBook Pro equipped with a Thunderbolt port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.