Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firmware

Does anyone know how to update firmware if HD is not usable?

iMac G5 (early), Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 31, 2006 10:56 AM

5 replies

Oct 31, 2006 1:24 PM in response to gus1030

Hello and Welcome to Apple Discussions.

Only the early iMac G4's need a firmware patch for their Optical Drives.

If your hard disk isn't working it's almost certainly not a firmware issue but something else. If you post back the actuall symptoms we may be able to help.

You've also posted in the iMac G4 (aka Flat Panel) forum but your specs say iMac G5. It's worth clarifying which you have as the advice will differ.

G4: User uploaded file G5: User uploaded file

kind regards

mrtotesUser uploaded file

Oct 31, 2006 2:25 PM in response to mrtotes

Sorry for mix up. Thought the forum was all iMacs.
Symptoms, gray screen or flashing folder. Using various SW tools on CD boot, everything checks out OK (Apple Hardware Test) or OK but no volumes (TechTool, DIsk Warrior). After multiple restarts and trys, changed out HD but still no go. Got error messages a few times (cursor screen) that seemed to indicate firmware problems, but this is not reproduceable.

Did the hard resets. Tried to reinstall OS X but no volume to install on.

Any suggestions beyond take it to the shop?

Nov 3, 2006 8:22 AM in response to mrtotes

I can boot from a varity of CD or DVDs (OS X install, Tech Tools, Disk Warrior, Apple Hardware Test). But the internal HD does not show up as a volume. Replaced old HD with new drive but no change. Does not mount, can't see it to mount it with any of the above tools).

I did not think it was possible to boot from a FW drive. Actually I didn't think you could install OS X on an external drive. If so this could fix my problem.

Nov 3, 2006 2:13 PM in response to gus1030

I think you need to take this in for a professional to look at. I suspect if could be an issue with the SATA bus on the logic board.

I did not think it was possible to boot from a FW drive. Actually I didn't think you could install OS X on an external drive. If so this could fix my problem.

Both these things are possible.

An external firewire harddrive could well be the most cost effective solution to this issue. Just boot from an Install disc and install OS X on the external drive.

mrtotesUser uploaded file

firmware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.