Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 13" 2011 screen scrambled on boot up.

When I opened my MBP last night after it being asleep all day (as it usually is), nothing happened. The screen was black and there was no sound.

I pressed the power button to start it up and nothing happened. I pressed it a few more times and still nothing. I then picked it up and noticed the area near the hings (battery?) was getting hot and when I got close to it I could hear the fan going, but still the screen was black and no sounds were coming from it. I held the power button to shut down and let it rest and cool down.

I tried turning it on again later and the screen lit up and shower the apple logo as usual. Yay! But then the screen scrambled like a glitchy nintendo cartridge. I shut it down again and found that I could try resetting the SMC. After it cooled down, I attempted the SMC after which it got stuck on the white apple screen for over 10 minutes. I forced shutdown again.

I tried the reset one more time and this time the charger blinked a different color as I read it should and an apple load bar screen appeared. Only to be replaced with scrambles again.

I would HATE to have to pay tons of money for this and/or lose my info and work tool.

Please help! 😟

Thank you!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 12:50 AM

11 replies

Jul 24, 2015 8:18 PM in response to neko217

UPDATE!

I wanted to try a share screen with my husband's iMac so I could try to backup my stuff. I didn't plug it in because... what's the point?

And my MBP booted up fine! No scrambles or anything!

I had been booting it up always plugged in because it was what was recommended. This was the first time I booted up unplugged.

Does this mean I just need a new charger? Should I still go to the genius bar?

I'm happy! But still weary...

Jul 29, 2015 8:59 PM in response to neko217

The visit to the Genius Bar went great!

They ran diagnostics and my hardware is thankfully ok. It was a software issue. They booted from their server and after lots of verifying and attempts at repairing, an orphaned file was found that seemed to be causing the problem. They told me it could've happened after a software update.

I brought it home asleep to back it up so they can wipe it and start from scratch on Monday. Even though their software said it was repaired they recommended wiping it anyway just to be sure it doesn't happen again.

Phew! That was scary! I've backed everything up and will be taking it in on Monday. If it all takes under 1 hour, it's free! 😀

Thanks for your input!

Macbook Pro 13" 2011 screen scrambled on boot up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.