Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wanting to upgrade the memory for a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) is it possible to replace the 2GB card for a 8GB in each slot? At an Apple Store it was said to me that it was possible, but here I found that it can be only maximum to 8GB

On my Mac it said that I can install two 1333 MHz DDR3 memory cards. So I wonder if I install 8GB + 8GB or 4GB + 4 GB.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 1:44 AM

3 replies

Jul 24, 2015 2:15 AM in response to paulavlz

If the computer build model sales year information per how that is properly used

is correctly applied to the exact one you happen to have, the specs I find say that

it can use up to 16GB RAM (memory chip) of 8 GB each across two slots. However

the Apple nomenclature often suggests less, as based on the time of manufacture

and what had been tested by the supplier hardware at that time, the numbers vary.

[In the following 'how to identify MacBook/Pro models' their numbers say less, than

the aftermarket reputable firms have tested to be viable and useful upgrade totals.

Same difference with second linked support page: conservative recommendation.]

• How to identify MacBook Pro models - Apple Support

• MacBook Pro: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

Sources such as OWC (other world computing) aka macsales.com &/or Crucial.com

are among a few whose upgrade product is tested and guaranteed by them to work.

That is, if you have correctly identified the computer unit model positively, since the

specs of the chips vary over time, and within the brand series model sales, as well.

• RAM upgrade example, read compatibility details:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_133 3MHz_SDRAM

If your 15-inch MacBook Pro (Late 2011) is positively identified correctly, this is it:

User uploaded file

{information & image courtesy of http://mactracker.ca download database application}

User uploaded file

And there are other sections of information to be seen from that source. A good online

source to read for comparison data build model & sales model is http://everymac.com

Since I don't save all these details to easily copy-paste, the links have been tested as I apply them

here; so if you really have a Late 2011 model (not an Early 2011, or other) they're correct. Another

way to speed up a portable would be to upgrade from a rotation hard drive, to a solid-state-drive.

There are limits to what will work properly, & how to install them correctly. See OWC instructions.

They have a page of helpful video instructions linked at the bottom of their drive replacement page.

Or check into the iFixit.com repair guides for details on how to upgrade/replace parts in sequence.

•MacBook Pro 15-inch Repair Guide - iFixit:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_15%22

Unibody MB/Pro 15-inch repair guide(s)

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_15%22_Unibody

Note in the OWC memory upgrade page, they show supported RAM memory modules, for best

results with a dual-core or quad-core Intel processor, matching capacity (& quality) RAM chips

are recommended. However the unit may work OK for awhile with a small capacity in one slot

and the highest capacity in the second. This may save some initial expense, but a better upgrade

would be to replace both, carefully, & with product from reputable source who tests/guarantees

the product to work in the Apple computer and OS X. Some suggest this, but don't measure up.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jul 24, 2015 2:33 AM in response to K Shaffer

Hello K Shaffer,

Thank you for your prompt answer, for the great support and ideas.

I will follow your advice and read all the documentation. It encourage me to save my old machine as well. One that has travel with me a lot where I decided to partition the disk and use linux and mac with it. But for some reason a friend made some manipulations and it stopped working.

So once I have augmented the memory for this machine I have, I will put myself to work saving the old machine where I want to keep it with a oldest OS.

By the way, beautiful photos from your home place in Alaska.

Best,

Paula

Jul 24, 2015 3:12 AM in response to paulavlz

Glad to hear you've some encouragement, to upgrade the hard disk drive may also

be a valid idea since the rotational hard drives do wear out; they may fail without as

much of forewarning, so to have a backup external device for safekeeping your files

and perhaps another for Time Machine backup. And yet another for use with bootable

full system clones, so you can restore the computer without using the online recovery

and bring it back to what your latest backup clone and on-site options could then allow.

Some methods of replacement of an internal drive include the use of an external enclosure

and put the new hard drive in there first, then use disk utilities to set it up, and if it is large

enough for a few good partitions, then it can be tested from the external enclosure to see

if it will work (boot the computer, etc) before actually taking the MacBook/Pro apart.

The SSD models from macsales look promising, in that their Mercury series has great specs

and if you were to try that, be sure to study their instructions; also note where others may

have tried and learned a hard way. Those kinds of learning are best experienced second

hand from reading about how to avoid trouble; or what to do about unexpected issues.

While my images number in thousands, most are 35mm SLR transparencies; a few from

digital are online, and nothing has been done to a google sites personal page in years.

An initial foray into digital fell flat when a new iMac failed and there was no local support

under AppleCare for hardware issues. And so conversion to digital has not occurred.

User uploaded file

Upper Trail Lake - Mi 27 Seward Highway - Kenai Mountains, Alaska - Moose Pass (on google earth) - ks

I do have a great collection of film cameras and darkroom equipment. And two digital

cameras, not new, that I sometimes use but seldom share results. Lumix DMC-FZ1 &

Nikon D70, which can use some of my good Nikkor film SLR lenses.

Anyway, hopefully you can update and keep the MacBook Pro longer into the future since

it is good to have hardware capable of using vintage or older software; an option to just

the latest versions. Some great applications or different ones exist for the older gen OS X.

Good luck in this matter and in general...! 🙂

Wanting to upgrade the memory for a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) is it possible to replace the 2GB card for a 8GB in each slot? At an Apple Store it was said to me that it was possible, but here I found that it can be only maximum to 8GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.