Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple independent series

Hi there,

having a bit of trouble with something I thought would be rather basic. I have two tables with dates (in the same range but not the same) and attached numeric data. I'm trying to chart the data, but can't get numbers to take the x data from the individual tables. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 5:01 AM

Hi iain,

What kind of chart? (graph/plot).

A Scatter Plot or a Category Plot?

A screen shot of small parts of the two tables will help (command shift 4 and drag). Please don't post a screen shot of the whole Numbers window (command shift 3). Such is hard to read.

An Idea that may help:

User uploaded file

Copied into another table, then graphed as a Scatter Plot:

User uploaded file

Please call back with questions and more information.

Regards,

Ian.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2015 5:01 AM in response to iain.james

Hi iain,

What kind of chart? (graph/plot).

A Scatter Plot or a Category Plot?

A screen shot of small parts of the two tables will help (command shift 4 and drag). Please don't post a screen shot of the whole Numbers window (command shift 3). Such is hard to read.

An Idea that may help:

User uploaded file

Copied into another table, then graphed as a Scatter Plot:

User uploaded file

Please call back with questions and more information.

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 24, 2015 1:23 PM in response to Yellowbox

Hey Yellowbox,

thanks so much for your post. Thanks to the info provided by yourself I managed to figure out how to solve my problem.

So the reason I couldn't get it to work was firstly, I was using a 2D line chart. I switched it over to a scatter plot and found the option share or not share the x data in the bottom left corner.

The only odd thing was I had to switch the type of table I used so that the right side was 'darkened' if that makes any sense. This does seem a bit complicated for something that should be very easy, but it worked and I guess that's all that matters.

Thanks again for the help!

Jul 25, 2015 1:13 AM in response to iain.james

Hi Iain,

Charts, whether category or scatter types, must get their data from a single table. For your case, where the data is on two separate tables,it must be collected onto a single table from which the chart gets its date.

Category charts, which include all types except the scatter charts, are used to compare single dimension values in multiple categories. For a vertical bar chart, the 'y' axis is the vertical axis and the 'x' axis is the category axis. Each category takes an equal amount of space on the horizontal ('x') axis (Note the three day gap and one day gap above the two darker cells in the first chart). If more than one set of values is being charted, each set will have its own column of the table supporting the chart, and its own colour on the chart, but ALL value sets will share the same categories list. Here are two Category charts, both using the same data. The top one is a bar chart, the bottom a line chart.

Note that all three data sets on each of these shares the same set of category names, recorded in column A.

User uploaded file

The Scatter chart is the only style that chart values in both the x and y axes. If it is used to chart more than one set of data pair series, the Y data values may be shared by all the x value sets, or a separate column of y values may be paired with each set of x values. Both x and y axes are value axes in a scatter chart. Notice the difference in horizontal spacing on the data points—wider where some dates are omitted.

Top chart is a line chart. The dates are 'categories.' Bottom chart is a scatter chart (with connected data points). The dates are 'values.'.

Note that categories are listed in a Header column, while values must be in a body column.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 25, 2015 4:47 AM in response to iain.james

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the gold star and your feedback.

The only odd thing was I had to switch the type of table I used so that the right side was 'darkened' if that makes any sense.

Umm... no.

Yes, it is possible to combine data from separate tables into one graph. (I am using Numbers 3.5.3).

("Cinderella, you shall go to the ball!")

User uploaded file

The tables have Header Columns, but they are not used in the graph. For a Scatter Plot, data must be in non-headers. Labels are in a Header Row (Row 1).

Select columns B and C of the first table (Apples) and insert a Scatter Plot.

Click on the graph, then on the Edit Data References button to see 'Select cells in any table to add data to this chart'.

User uploaded file

Now drag to select the Body Cells in columns B and C in Table 2 (Oranges).

To get Apples and Oranges in the legend, I had to click on the graph, click on a Series, then

Format Panel > Series > Data > Name > and change the source cell for the series name.

In a Scatter Plot, the X axis does not copy the X axis values in the table (as Barry said, they are values, not categories). Numbers calculates equal steps. I chose 14 steps in this example.

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 25, 2015 12:15 PM in response to Yellowbox

And, in playing around with this, it does not appear to be correct that, with scatter plots, values must be in a body column. Numbers 3 can take the values in rows too. To try that, I quickly transposed the table (via Table > Transpose Rows and Columns in the menu), made sure the date column was not defined as a Header Column (no shading), clicked the chart and 'Edit Data References', choose 'Plot Rows as Series' (lower left) and got the result below.

SG

User uploaded file

Jul 25, 2015 6:41 PM in response to SGIII

Hi SG,

Hmm… I got a little sloppy after 1:00 AM (or decided to cut the post short and deal only with the posted example).

"Note that categories are listed in a Header column, while values must be in a body column."

These comments applied to the displayed example. For tables with value series in ROWS, revise the statement to read:

'Note that categories are listed in a Header row, while values must be in a body row.'

In general terms, all values to be plotted must be in body cells.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 26, 2015 4:40 PM in response to Barry

Hi Barry,

It's always fun to parse the words of the teacher, looking for the inevitable little inconsistency here or there.🙂

On balance I think it's fair to say charting is improved in Numbers 3. 'Transpose Rows and Columns' makes it a snap to get the data into the best orientation (data in body cells arranged in columns generally does seem to work better than rows), it's easy to add data from separate tables as Ian demonstrates, and interactive charts don't require an intermediate table. And, of course, if one is so inclined, one can even do a bubble chart.

SG

Multiple independent series

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.