Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview white screen glitch

I flipped an image in preview horizontally and then vertically, afterwards as soon as I hit cmd-s to save, the image completely turned white. Thinking it was a bug, I tried restarting Preview, but my image remained white and cmd-z was taken away. Is there any way to fix this or is the image lost?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 6:04 AM

13 replies

Jul 27, 2015 1:55 PM in response to mistastealyogirl

First... I cannot reproduce this with PNG, JPG or TIF versions of an image in an OLD version of Preview (my thinking was the format may be in play, but maybe you can offer a LOT more details about the qualities of your image)

2nd, this is not a QuickTime question. I will get it moved to "Yosemite" where it will be at or near the top of the list because of this reply

I follow with interest, as this seems very odd (????)

Jul 28, 2015 7:49 AM in response to mistastealyogirl

mistastealyogirl wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

1. I'm working with JPG.
  2. This error is consistent for me, but it doesn't happen every time.
  3. It's most common when I'm rotating multiple images at once, though the error has occurred with single files.
  4. After testing a bit, I noticed that the problem clearly only happens upon saving the file.

you're welcome. although I cannot reproduce, I will offer some logic...

1. OK - try with a different filetype
    1. save original image as a PNG
    2. do your normal test WorkFlow
    3. same?
  2. can't be both 'consistent' AND 'intermittent'' - let's call it intermittent since it actually is, but happens OFTEN
  3. There may also be something 'peculiar' about the "source" of the image(s) - how are the misbehaving images obtained? Camera? What kind? Download? What source? ETC...
  4. That is logical... saving a manipulated file REwrites the data in a new way - this MAY be the "b u g" to which you refer in Preview - or not

Let us know about your #1 test first - then answer #3 in detail.

Jul 28, 2015 10:59 AM in response to mistastealyogirl

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Jul 28, 2015 8:49 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

1: The error appears to only happen with JPG; I was not able to replicate it with PNG.

2: Intermittent is by far a more accurate description.

3: Originally, these files were imported from my iPhone. They were then moved to my hard drive, where only then I began editing them. So I can't exactly pinpoint the original moment when the problem started.

Sidenote: I did reinstall my OS recently because I needed to revert from a glitchy Safari beta. So one would think that my mac should be error free after a fresh reinstall.

4: Yes, it is peculiar. This problem happened immediately after hitting save. To add on, upon quitting Preview with multiple images open, I get small text windows popping up and down from Previews toolbar, saying "Checking for unsaved data".

Jul 28, 2015 9:17 PM in response to mistastealyogirl

OK.

Further test of JPGs from your iPhone source = do NOT write OVER a file's original data

• KEEP the original of ALL photos - you always want a way to go back to the beginning of an edit WorkFlow (without having to resort to constant backing up and restoring) - same thing with audio and video files - UNTIL you are SURE you are satisfied with your finished product(s)
  • SAVE AS a new name after your flipping series in Preview - pick a naming convention that suits you

image001.jpg > image001a.jpg , image002.jpg > image002a , etc....

• joy? - no joy?

BTW, after a SAVE or SAVE AS, there are no UNDOs in any app that I know of.

We can assume that the issue is not 'started' in any 'copying' from device to device.

I am guessing that this flip-flip WorkFlow is a new process for you. If NOT, then what else may have changed right before the misbehavior started? Update or add anything? Anything at all?

also try Eric's suggestion of using your normal workflow after creating another User account

Jul 29, 2015 5:04 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

After constant testing, the preview dilemma seems to have ended. That's not to excuse the fact that this issue did ruin some of my files, and I feel paranoid of it's return in the future.

To describe the issue further, it distorts the entire image, creating a wide array of random pixels streaming across the screen, sourced by the same colors used in the original photo. To be perfectly clear here, all this happened simply after rotating the image and saving. Even the file size shrunk significantly, which is why I assume these images are forever rubble.

So yes, for now I seem to have been cured. But maybe the guys at apple should take a closer look at this. I'll be sure to post about any problems I experience in the future. Thanks again for your help.

Jul 29, 2015 5:40 PM in response to mistastealyogirl

¶#1 - good news bad news - good it stopped, bad you can;'t finger why! Employ best practices I described of working on COPIES not originals (comes from years of business experience)

¶#2 - my mind's eye needs glasses... if this ever happens again, take screenshots of entire display - IMMEDIATELY and OFTEN - documenting exact steps prior to occurrence - then REPRODUCE the misbehavior with full display shots at every step - then get a DropBox account to post the actual files for us to download and replicate and/or inspect.

¶#3 - the 'guys at Apple' would need a tsunami of this to even take a glance at this... I am not convinced that it is a "b u g" until it happens every single time with repeatable replication by others - no matter how 'oddball' the WorkFlow steps may seem.

Your welcome, of course... but ÇÇÇ also stands for Çuriosity Çilled the Çat

buenos noches

Sep 7, 2015 10:55 PM in response to mistastealyogirl

This has been happening to me for about a month now. I'm not sure precisely when it started, but it's very repeatable, and effects all file types. If I make any change at all (color change, annotation, rotation) and save the image, it turns (mostly) white, and the file size drops dramatically. I can't get it to happen with any other software, just Preview. Tried a guest account--same thing. Seems to be some system thing. I originally thought it was some sort of color space issue (I'm using a Spyder color profile), but even going through the motions with standard color profiles cause the same issue. It's all very weird.

Preview white screen glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.