Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrate to new mac from Mavericks to Yosemite, all ARD passwords lost

Hi all,

Have a pretty extensive list of macs in ARD on my current iMac, which is running OS X Mavericks 10.9.5. Just got a new retina iMac running Yosemite and successfully migrated my user over to the new machine using the Migration Assistant (or whatever it is called these days).

I verified that my keychains were copied over. When I launch ARD, I needed to re-enter the serial number. No problem, I have that. However, when I get to my list of macs, every one says that it does not have a password and will not connect.

Is there any way to get these passwords back or do I need to go through and manually enter every one? I would have thought this data would have migrated, but it appears it has not.

Any and all advice you have would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 8:23 AM

The Migration Assistant may have pulled your user account over, but the relevant preferences are actually located in /Library/Preferences/com/apple.RemoteDesktop.plist.

If you do a 'defaults read com.apple.RemoteDesktop accessCredentials' in terminal, and don't get a bunch of raw data back, you might try moving that plist over from the original machine.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2015 8:23 AM in response to xrob

The Migration Assistant may have pulled your user account over, but the relevant preferences are actually located in /Library/Preferences/com/apple.RemoteDesktop.plist.

If you do a 'defaults read com.apple.RemoteDesktop accessCredentials' in terminal, and don't get a bunch of raw data back, you might try moving that plist over from the original machine.

Migrate to new mac from Mavericks to Yosemite, all ARD passwords lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.