Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not recognizing older 30-pin iPods but will recognize newer ones

Hi all,

I have just noticed that two older iPods, both with hard drive and 30-pin connectors, one a U2 20 GB and one an iPod Video 80 GB, do not seem to be recognized by the latest version of iTunes (12.2.1.16) running under Win7 Pro. I have an older iPod touch and an iPhone 6 that seem to be syncing fine. I checked under Device Manager, and the devices that sync show up under "Portable Devices" and there are entries under the "Properties> Details > Hardware ID" item. For these devices, I also see the "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" under the USB Serial Bus Controllers item. For the ones that do not sync, the Hardware ID is blank, and there is no Apple Mobile Device USB Driver. The computer sees these as hard drives. I have tried this on two different computers with three different cables, and no combination works. I am wondering if there is some problem with the later versions of iTunes that makes them incompatible, or if there is some problem with the USB Enumerator on Windows. I am running Norton Security and am trying an uninstall of this per some other threads I have found.

Does anyone have other ideas about this?

Jman9

iPod 5th Generation (Late 2006), Other OS

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 7:52 AM

14 replies

Jul 25, 2015 8:41 PM in response to NortonSupport

Hi Harini,

I am using Norton Security with Backup, version 22.2.0.31. I tried completely uninstalling the same version on the laptop computer, and that one now seems to be recognizing the 80 GB iPod. Disabling the firewall on the desktop computer did not cause the iPod to be recognized. (It still is showing up as only a disk drive.) I will try uninstalling NSBU completely to see if that improves things.

Jul 25, 2015 9:20 PM in response to NortonSupport

Hi Harini,

One more comment. I uninstalled NSBU from the desktop computer, and the 80 GB iPod is now visible and syncs using the latest version of iTunes. However, in Device Manager, I now have an entry for a USB Mass Storage Device with a yellow exclamation point, and a status message that "Windows is uninstalling this device. (Code 21)". The hardware ID for this device is the iPod. I did a manual uninstall, and the computer installed the device driver when I reconnected it. iTunes is still seeing (and syncing) the device.

I would say that there is some issue with a recent update of NSBU. This configuration (running NSBU) was working fine for quite a while, and just stopped working within the last 2 weeks or so.

Jman9

Jul 27, 2015 6:36 PM in response to MichaelYeaman

It seems that it started happening (for me, at least) about a month ago, but the last time I know for sure it worked was early June. I have tried an earlier version of iTunes but that made no difference. Other posts have said that last year's version of Norton (21.x.x.x.) still seemed to work. I had 22.2.0.16 on my desktop computer, which definitely does not work. I don't have the history of the Norton releases, so I am not sure when it "broke". I did post something on the Norton support forums. They have claimed that engineering is "working" on the problem, but that has been the case since March, so I'm not really holding my breath.

I also tried disabling the "scan removable media" option, and disabling the firewall, neither of which solved the issue. So, I guess we will have to wait, or revert to 21.x.x.x on those computers with iTunes and older iPods. Sigh.

Jul 27, 2015 6:43 PM in response to MichaelYeaman

One more thing. My laptop is running the same version as yours (22.5.2.15). iTunes can see the device, but sync attempts fail and eject from iTunes creates a popup that says "The iPod <name> cannot be synced. The disk is not available." and there is no hardware ID in the Device Manager listing for Portable Devices. It shows up as a disk drive under Windows. I would hope that the crack Symantec engineering team has enough information to make this work. After all, it's not like we are trying to use some obscure device from some obscure manufacturer.

Jul 27, 2015 10:10 PM in response to Jman9

Hello,

I am not sure about the Windows error you got. However, here is an article http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/windows-7-sa ys-windows-is-uninstalling-this-device/2… from windows which seemed to solve this problem. And the latest version of Norton is 22.5.2.15 . Could you kindly redownload Norton from your Norton account https://manage.norton.com and let us know if that helps?

Harini

Norton Support

Jul 28, 2015 6:25 AM in response to NortonSupport

HI Harini,

DIsabling the firewall had no effect. Disabling the "scan removable devices" also did not work.

I used an older installer for NIS and my NSBU product key and am now running "Norton Internet Security" version 22.5.2.15. The only workaround that seems to work is to check the "Enable disk use" box in iTunes and force a manual eject after sync. I am not totally sure if new audio files are being synced or not, but at least iTunes is seeing the iPods.

We still need a real fix from Norton. See the Norton Security forum

post called "Norton Security and iTunes" for more discussion.

Aug 3, 2015 1:37 PM in response to NortonSupport

Hi Harini,

I have verified that the iPod syncs properly with Norton uninstalled, and fails when I reinstall it. This happens consistently with two different iPods, three different cabled, and two different computers. I have been able to get things to work if I set the iPod (in iTunes) to "Enable disk mode" and then eject it manually when the sync is finished. I have not checked to see if I am still getting the "Windows is uninstalling the device" error. I did try uninstalling the device and reinstalling it before I turned on Enable disk mode" and the other steps in the article you referenced, with no improvement. Please advise what logs you need and how I should collect them. Thanks.

jman9

iTunes not recognizing older 30-pin iPods but will recognize newer ones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.