Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my computer slow down excessively overnight?

I have a 2012 13" macbook pro running OS X 10.9.4

Processor 2.9GHz

Memory 8GB 1600MHz

A few weeks, I opened my macbook pro first thing in the morning and very frequently the spinning beach ball popped up for 30-60 seconds. It has made it very frustrating to simply check my email. I have noticed that the spinning beach ball usually pops up after I have clicked something, whether it be a webpage or an app. I had been using my computer daily and had noticed no issues. I opened it that morning and it seemed to have dramatically slowed down overnight.

Steps I have taken:

1) I have consulted with a friend who is a bit more savvy than I and we seem to have ruled out issues of computer usage and memory. In the activity monitor nothing is eating huge amounts of CPU%. Typically I have >90% idle. I have used 4.32GB of 8.00GB.

2) I have tried looking in the system log at the time when the beach ball appears or the computer freezes. Usually I do not note anything out of the ordinary, but today I noticed the following message right when I had an issue.

com.apple.WebKit(760) deny file-read-data /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security-common.plist

And there is a link to the full report which I can post if that would be useful. I am suspicious of possible malware.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 8:09 AM

10 replies

Jul 24, 2015 8:31 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Here it is. I know right off the bat that genieo isn't a good thing. Suggestions for getting rid of it and other recomendations?

EtreCheck version: 2.2 (132)

Report generated 7/24/15, 11:26 AM

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Click the [Click to remove] links for help removing adware.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook Pro Intel Core i7, 15" (Mid 2012)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro9,2

1 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU: 2-core

8 GB RAM Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 687 - SN = 9G22200XLD3NC

Video Information: ℹ️

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Color LCD 1280 x 800

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.9.4 (13E28) - Time since boot: 0:22:3

Disk Information: ℹ️

TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF disk0 : (750.16 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / : 749.30 GB (655.69 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-8A8

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Thunderbolt Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Adware: ℹ️

Genieo, InstallMacAdware! [Click to remove]

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[running] com.pharos.notify.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.pharos.popup.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[failed] com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-[...]@me.com-SharedServices.Agent.plist [Click for details]

[failed] com.facebook.videochat.[redacted].plist [Click for support]

[running] com.spotify.webhelper.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.valvesoftware.steamclean.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

PCClient Application Hidden (/Applications/PCClient.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 18.0.0.209 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

Flash Player: Version: 18.0.0.209 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Default Browser: Version: 537 - SDK 10.9

SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.4.7 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.10411.0 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

SlingPlayer: Version: Unknown - SDK 10.8 [Click for support]

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 14.9.0 - SDK 10.7 Check version

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Flash Player [Click for support]

TeXDistPrefPane [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Auto backup: YES

Volumes being backed up:

Macintosh HD: Disk size: 749.30 GB Disk used: 93.60 GB

Destinations:

Seagate Backup Plus Drive [Local]

Total size: 2.00 TB

Total number of backups: 3

Oldest backup: 2014-12-25 16:12:43 +0000

Last backup: 2015-06-10 23:52:16 +0000

Size of backup disk: Adequate

Backup size 2.00 TB > (Disk used 93.60 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

4% JavaAppLauncher(2)

4% WindowServer

1% PluginProcess(2)

0% com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

0% aosnotifyd

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

570 MB kernel_task

246 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

221 MB JavaAppLauncher(2)

131 MB Safari

123 MB mds_stores

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

4.91 GB Free RAM

3.09 GB Used RAM

0 B Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Jul 24, 2015, 10:56:45 AM Self test - passed

Jul 24, 2015 10:19 AM in response to SMCBerner

You are correct about genio. Here are the uninstall instructions:

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-genieo/

Perform SMC and NVRAM resets:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Then boot into the recovery partition and select Disk Utility from the 4 option menu.

Run Disk Utility>First Aid, Verify and Repair.

If the disk cannot be repaired, it will have to be replaced.

Ciao.

Jul 24, 2015 10:48 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I cannot find the file name that the author says not to proceed without deleting because it will attempt to load the files I will subsequently delete.

This is the filename:

/private/etc/launchd.conf

I have searched it by right clicking, selecting services, and then reveal in finder. When I click it a small window pops up that says "The operations can't be completed because the item can't be find. Additionally, when I select the "Go to Folder" in the finder menu and press go, I receive a message saying "The folder can't be found".

I want to be absolutely sure the filename doesn't exist... Am I alright to continue with the rest of the authors directions?

Jul 24, 2015 11:08 AM in response to SMCBerner

In the Finder's 'Go menu > Go to Folder…' you need to enter /private/etc/

The launchd.conf file may not exist but you can look for it in the Finder window that opens.

Apple also have info this which references Genieo, compare to the other instructions if you want to be sure.

Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 24, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Drew Reece

Thanks Drew. I did that, it does not exist. I went on to step three to remove everything from that list of files. The only one I found was this one.

/usr/lib/libgenkit.dylib

I haven't done anything about it yet, but it is the only one I could find of anything listed here. I also do not see any proof of Genieo or InstallMac in my applications... suggestions?

Jul 24, 2015 12:50 PM in response to SMCBerner

My guess is that you may have already removed the other pieces, the Apple page does also say you need to remove the /usr/lib/libgenkit.dylib file too. Are you having problems removing that?

Keep following the guide & reboot when Apple state that in the instructions. Eventually you can re-run Etrecheck or try running another app to see if any pieces remain. It is safest to use Apple's guide, but Adwaremedic is another option…

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php (it is made by the author of The Safe Mac).

Don't forget to clear out your downloads, you may still have the installer that started this mess. Adware gets installed with many applications from bad sites that aggregate downloads (cnet, softonic, sourceforge many others cannot be trusted) so you may want to delete any downloads you do not trust.

Jul 24, 2015 2:10 PM in response to SMCBerner

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. It will be slow, but there should be no beachballing. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Jul 27, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc,

Step 1 Results: Created a guest account, logged in, and beachballing is an issue. I poked around the finder, system preferences, and safari and had issues across the board. I noticed that after perhaps ten minutes of using the guest account it seemed to speed up a bit, and the beachballing went away. I have been able to use my computer for most things without any issues after the initial slow period

Step 2 Results: Slow boot, as described. Again, continued to get the beachballing. I tried navigating the finder, safari, and excel, and had trouble with all of it. No change noticed after waiting 10-15 minutes

Restarted, logged into my normal account, and the problem persists.

Why did my computer slow down excessively overnight?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.