Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email messed up ever since upgrading to Yosemite. The mail icon remains on the toolbar and I can open if I click into full screen and read the emails. I cannot send any emails. This is a huge problem.

My email has been completely messed up ever since upgrading to Yosemite. I am about to revert to prior OS because of this. I can't click on the icon on the toolbar. It is unusable. Nothing happens. The email will not open up at all unless I open email and then click View Full Screen. Even when I do this the email will not send from this computer AT ALL!! Off any accounts. If I logout and then simply go through Safari and open up yahoo separately then sometimes I can send email that way but this icon is useless to me now. The new operating system killed my email.

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 10:21 AM

23 replies

Dec 12, 2017 10:39 AM in response to eagledavid1

I’m not being a wise guy but I would suggest you install a new mail program, e.g. Firefox’s or Airmail. Maybe one of these will retrieve all your email. I’ve had to give up Apple’s mail since Yosemite and I’m now on current OSX10.3. Neither Apple nor any ‘10’s’ here were able to fix it and we spent several months of iterations only to end up thwarted.

It’s still a mystery non-solution. In my case I think the problem lies in my having had Apple ID’s for 30+ years, some

ending in .mac, .me and .iCloud, with multiple file categories under each. They just don’t seem to fit the OS system

which evolved into Yosemite, then Sierra, etc.

Maybe this info will help should Apple or others attack the software problem and file removals.

Jul 24, 2015 10:30 AM in response to inkscrblr

The Dock alias may be corrupt. Click and hold it while holding down the command key and drag it out of the Dock until you get a puff of smoke. Then go to the Applications folder and drag Mail to the Dock to create a new alias.

Now try opening Mail and see if it will open normally.

Mail troubleshooting - Yosemite

Mail (Yosemite): If you can’t send messages

Mail not sending or receiving messages after updating OS X

Jul 24, 2015 2:45 PM in response to inkscrblr

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window will open. Inside it there should be files with names as follows:

Envelope Index

ExternalUpdates.storedata

Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have longer names that begin as above. Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. Click OK. Typically, the process takes a few minutes, but it may take hours if you have gigantic mailboxes. In that case, you may be able to speed things up by temporarily adding your home folder to the Privacy list in the Spotlight preference pane. Remove it when Mail has finished importing.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the files you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

Oct 19, 2015 5:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

Some of your mah-vlos fixes on others have helped me, one of which I think I messed up: NEGATING EFFECTIVE POINTER (cursor).

Given: MBA 13", circa late 2012- 2013, dual core i7, 16g ram, i.e. plenty of power and speed. Running El Capitan okay; (new battery~2 months); clean as a whistle.

Problem: Mail began slowing, then hanging on this MBA AND on a new MBP-13R, same 'heat'. I tried your remedy from another's fix, i.e.

1. removing library folder in keychain - to trash. This did not fix my problem. (I may have removed too much on the MBA?; this MBP-R now works fine.)

2. I then ran Onyx's new 'Deeper' cleaner on the MBA using set-to-default commands (basic stuff)... . WHOOPS, now mail problem secondary!

3. After #2, I got a locked screen, i.e. the Mac boots up and shows the correct screens (in normal and safe modes) but, while the pointer moves around as

intended it has no effect when clicked, other than starting the blasted beachball, which I can't seem to squelch.

I sure would appreciate some of your experienced look-see and advice. (I go back to SE days and am okay with HW technical but not versed in code other

than some basic stuff. Big Fan of MacBible and it's author over the years.)

Thanks in advance and regards from Atlanta, GA

May 3, 2016 2:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

I tried this also after getting your help on fixing "mail quits unexpectedly". I could not back up all email data because I could not get into it. I no longer use Apple's time capsule and backup using several passports.

Now I have lost all email data and cannot retrieve. It also disappeared from my mail server Comcast. Is there any thing else to try?

Thanks

Jun 17, 2016 5:31 PM in response to inkscrblr

SLeep

inkscrblr wrote:

My email has been completely messed up ever since upgrading to Yosemite. I am about to revert to prior OS because of this. I can't click on the icon on the toolbar. It is unusable. Nothing happens. The email will not open up at all unless I open email and then click View Full Screen. Even when I do this the email will not send from this computer AT ALL!! Off any accounts. If I logout and then simply go through Safari and open up yahoo separately then sometimes I can send email that way but this icon is useless to me now. The new operating system killed my email.

Jun 17, 2016 5:30 PM in response to inkscrblr

inkscrblr wrote:

Email messed up ever since upgrading to Yosemite. The mail icon remains on the toolbar and I can open if I click into full screen and read the emails. I cannot send any emails. This is a huge problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.