Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IAC in Mainstage

I'm developing a complicated set up in MainStage, and want to use the IAC drivers to 'midi up' Kontakt player 5 and Pianoteq 5 at the concert level outside of MainStage to keep the CPU down which works a treat until I use either the sustain or volume pedals that are connected to my keyboard - when I do, notes hang and MainStage plays a VERY SLOW catch up with the keys I played. If I only play the keys all is perfect - very fast playing and small CPU usage - any ideas anyone?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 10:37 AM

4 replies

Jul 25, 2015 8:07 AM in response to Josh Glover

Hi Josh, very simply (assuming you know the basics of MainStage), open PT as a stand alone instrument.

On the mac, go to utilities folder under the apps, and open audio midi set up, open the midi studio view and it should give you some icons for midi devices. Double click the IAC Driver icon, then tick the 'online' box.

Now in MainStage create a new channel strip - when you do it will ask what kind of strip - Audio, instrument, external instrument or aux? Select external instrument. On the top box of the channel strip (Midi output) should be a drop down menu, and will be a list of connected midi devices that will control this instrument, it will now include the IAC driver, select this.

In PT, go to preferences, under devices, 'deselect' the midi keyboard you use, and select the IAC driver instead. Now what should be happening is that your keyboard plays MainStage, and MainStage sends a virtual midi cable out to PT. This seems a great solution for PT and Kontakt which has much higher CPU usage when used inside of MainStage, however I can't get the sustain pedal and volume pedal to not be in a midi feedback loop - that's my problem at the mo - if I can suss that out - happy days. Would be interested to know if yours is OK.

Richard

Aug 1, 2015 8:22 AM in response to Rhaley

I've tried this and experienced the same issues with MIDI loops. I haven't had a chance to try yet, but I'm wondering if it is due to either MIDI settings in PT and/or MS getting doubled. It would be interesting to experiment with turning off the MIDI controls in MS to see if that does the trick. I'm not near my rig today, but might get a shot to try it this week.

Cheers!

Josh

IAC in Mainstage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.