Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App store "update all" has old id on company device

We have a MacBook Pro owned by the company that was setup by a former employee who used their personal Hotmail address to login and register in the
App store. This employee is no longer with the company. I have removed the user name/Account from the MB since we didn't have his personal password. When I chose to update all apps I get a sign in request that shows his personal email address and I cannot edit it. I need to remove this address so it can be
managed from a company internal email address that will be used on this device to update it from this point forward.

How do I accomplish this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 9:39 AM

12 replies

Jul 24, 2015 9:52 AM in response to Niel

Let's see....... delete all the applications that this former user installed.

This might sound a bit sarcastic but it really isn't. The employee is gone and we have no idea what they installed so you suggest deleting what was installed??? Really how? It also seems realistic that these apps are needed for internal usage and job functions, perhaps even the initial updates or O/S install so deleting them wouldn't really be an option since they are needed but since we have no idea what they are we couldn't delete them anyway.

Isn't this suggestion a bit ridicules?

Jul 24, 2015 10:09 AM in response to cjlindell

What was ridiculous was your IT dept allowing an employee to set up a company Mac with their personal Apple ID. You are lucky that the employee didn't set up the security feature that would have locked you out of the Mac completely. You would have had to buy a new Mac.

I'm going to disagree with Niel and state that I don't believe that you will get complete control of your Mac back until you completely erase the hard drive and return it to the original factory state.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3, Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 1.0.1, iPad Air & iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Jul 24, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Dah•veed

Dah•veed,

I agree, however it was a one man IT shop for a small company and this former employee had never acted as manager before and didn't understand what the ramifications of his actions might be in tying the app store to his personal ID. I am the recipient of the fallout and just want to fix the Da*n thing and get it back into service.

I cannot believe in Apples infinite wisdom when creating the update system that this hasn't come up before, blowing the entire O/S out and rebuilding from scratch is absurd. I'm sure there is a better way and someone from Apple needs to step in and assist me.

Jul 24, 2015 10:22 AM in response to cjlindell

There is none. The only assistance Apple might provide in this matter is with unlinking the iLife or iWork applications from a former owner's Apple ID.

Erasing the drive and reinstalling the OS will delete all of the applications with the other person's Apple ID. If you'd rather not do that, whenever you're prompted for the other person's Apple ID, delete the application you're being asked to update and then reinstall it.

(130711)

Jul 24, 2015 10:32 AM in response to cjlindell

Apple is not here. Apple doesn't answer questions here. This is a user to user support forum. There is no one from Apple to step in.

Yes this comes up all of the time. That's why Niel and I know that the only way to get rid of the issue is to delete the previous employee's purchases. You can do it piecemeal, as Niel suggests or you can take a punch in the arm and erase the Mac and properly start over setting it up as a company Mac.

Call Apple Care and verify that we are telling you the truth. Or take the Mac to an Apple Store Genius Bar and let them charge you to erase it and return it to the factory state. You need to make an appt online before going into the store.

Or if there isn't a local Apple Store, contact an Apple Approved Service Provider.

Jul 24, 2015 4:15 PM in response to Dah•veed

After calling Apple Care and going through all the details and about 90 minutes on hold and on the phone I was offered a transfer to iTunes and they took the ticket, saw the software installed by the former user and provided me codes to download them and over write the install info so all software can be updated via a company email registration. this turned out well and though it took longer than I expected it was still better than having to reinstall the O/S and reinstall all apps or repurchase them.

Thanks to iTunes for helping me recover and finish.

App store "update all" has old id on company device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.