Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does a TV Streamer cause wifi interference?

I have a ReSound Unite TV Streamer 2. This device assists me in hearing. I also have Apple TV.

I attempted to download a movie from iTunes. The screen indicated that it would take in excess of 4 hours to download the 1080p movie.

Time to run a speed test with OOKLA. The Airport Extreme, located on the other side of the house, is wireless connected to an Airport Express adjacent to the TV and the Apple TV were indicating two (2) separate download speeds. The Airport Extreme is hard wired into an ARRIS SURFboard.

The Extreme was 24.63 download and the Express was 0.17 download.

Time to hard boot the Extreme.

Switched over the system to 5GHz network.

Extreme download remained constant the Express 0.66 download.

I Contacted Apple Care we unplugged the ReSound Unite TV Streamer 2. The download at the Express was similar to the Extreme at 26.64 download.

I tried changing the the ReSound USB Power Adapter to the Apple 12W USB Power Adapter. At first examination it appeared to be working well with download speed consistent with 24.64 download. I have since discovered that the OOKLA servers were not consistent. The download speeds dropped to below 1.00 Mbps. when selecting a consistent server.

The audio cable is optical (Toslink) approximately 36"

Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the wifi interference other than jacking up the volume or keeping my streamer unplugged?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 11:43 AM

4 replies

Jul 26, 2015 10:56 AM in response to Eprint

Hey Eprint,

Just to make sure that I'm on the right page here, it sounds like there's a source of interference between your Airport Extreme and your Airport Express. Such a cause would absolutely cause symptoms such as what you've described (slow download speeds for devices connected to the Airport Express).

The article I've linked below details a number of potential sources of interference that can potentially help identify a better location to place your Airport Extreme. Doing so can help get around the 'shadow' of an interfering device or object and increase speeds for devices connected to the Airport Extreme.

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: Potential sources of wireless interference - Apple Support

All my best!

Jul 26, 2015 1:28 PM in response to CarlAVII

Allen A

There is no interference between the Airport Extreme and the Express. As I indicated in my post, the Apple Technician and I had determined that when the ReSound Unite TV Streamer 2 was disconnected from the power source the download speeds returned to the benchmark of 24.00+ Mbps.

As for the article, “Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: Potential sources of wireless interference - Apple Support,” I had reviewed that prior to contacting Apple Care.

I have also contacted the manufacture of the TV Streamer with the text from my post.

I am able to use my Apple TV without a single download issue when the TV Streamer is disconnected from the power. I believe, without any basis in fact, that the problem may be within the power source of the Streamer.

I continue to seek out possibilities and technical support to block the interference and find a solution for those, like myself, who are hearing impaired. I do hope to enjoy the programs available on Apple TV with the use of my ReSound equipment once this technical problem has been resolved.

Thank you for you interest and assistance.

Eprint

Oct 3, 2016 5:09 AM in response to archaid

Archaid

The problem was solved with my streamer and it works with my ReSound PHD's. I do not believe that a generic streamer would work, Resound has proprietary software. I was required to update the app software and change my wi-fi to 5gHz for the system to work. Please contact your audiologist or Resound for more information on this topic.

Eprint

Does a TV Streamer cause wifi interference?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.